3 Large Cents & my first Flying Eagle Cent

CoinRex

Hi all, i've been doing some research about finding another old home site in a field across the road and up a ways from a field where I found a seated half. Couple months ago I took the detector out to try to find the iron patch but couldn't find it. Well it turns out I didn't walk out into the field far enough so using some landmarks on an old 1865 map and Google earth, I found the place finally last week and immediately it was producing. Almost immediately I found an 1850 large cent and some cool old buttons and relics. A few days later, after work was out of the way, I went back and found two more large cents-one was 1851 and the other was 1852. Went back this evening and found something that looked the thickness and size of a fatty Indianhead, but just could not make out an Indianhead on the obverse. Took it home and very carefully scraped the dry dirt off of it and applied a little bit of oil to it and found out that I had found my first flying eagle cent-1857! It's in pretty rough shape, but I'll take it......HH

Last edited:
that is outstanding! congrats!!! I have found my share of large cents around here but have yet to save a flying eagle! 3 consecutive years on the large cents also! great hunt!

Congrats on a great location and doing your follow up on the research. Great old digs with the 3 Large Cents and a bucket list find with the Flying Eagle. Jack

Awesome man! I was reading through threads when I saw the title of this one. I was like, "hey, my buddy Jason just found the same coins". Then I saw coin Rex. hahaha!! Nice job man. Keep those oldies comin.

Awesome hunts. Love the FE, they sure don't show up too often. Congrats!

Awesome oldies! I would sure like to find a FE. Heck even a LC would be killer!

Congrats on those very nice keepers!

G2M

Back
Top Bottom