New to Texas, need advice on where to hunt

Oneeyeblind

Great forum :wow:

Being new here I am having trouble figuring out where I can hunt. I live north of Houston in Montgomery county between Conroe and Cleveland. Is it ok to hunt at parks, schools, etc? How about beaches?

If you can share any insights I would be grateful.

Good luck and good hunting.

Dennis

I'm up east of Dallas and we rarely see any problems with city parks and such. Only one town I know of has begin pushing us out. Good luck and welcome to Texas

Welcome from central Texas.

A few thoughts: most towns around here have no specific restrictions on metal detecting, but a few do, so do your research before you hunt. You can usually do that online as most towns have put their ordinances online. Just search for each of the following three terms: 'metal' and 'detecting' and digging' and then check each hit to ensure there is no problem. Be sure to check both the town's ordinances and the Parks and Recreation Department's regulations, as they might have separate rules.

Another good source of knowledge is your nearest metal detecting club. Join up and ask the members.

Stay safe and HH.

Great forum :wow:

Being new here I am having trouble figuring out where I can hunt. I live north of Houston in Montgomery county between Conroe and Cleveland. Is it ok to hunt at parks, schools, etc? How about beaches?

If you can share any insights I would be grateful.

Good luck and good hunting.

Dennis

shouldn't have a problem lived in Aldine Tex. Harris County for awhile say hello down there

Welcome from Corsicana, Tx!

You need to meet Wayne at Metal Detecting Stuff. He runs a metal detecting shop at The Woodlands. So it is right near your location. There are several clubs in your area. He can put you in touch with them if your interested. PM me & I will provide you with info.

Welcome to Texas also!

Thank You for taking the time to ask.

Welcome to the group. Permissions is important. Look for tear outs, and do some research like old city dumps and such. Schools on the weekends are ok here in NM. So much I could say, just have fun.

... Is it ok to hunt at parks, schools, etc? How about beaches? ...

Welcome to the forum one-eye-blind. As for your question: Turn it around the other way: Why would you think you couldn't ? Perhaps because you've gotten on forums, and read of someone who got hassled here or there, right ? Ie.: that there might be a rule therefore , eh ? If so, Toewe is right. Look it up for yourself. Don't go asking bored pencil pushers "can I detect?", lest you get an arbitrary whimsical safe answer of "no" (when in fact, no one really cares or would ever have noticed).

.... Just search for each of the following three terms: 'metal' and 'detecting' and digging' ....

I digress on the point of letting the word "digging", by necessity, dis-allow us. Because, then heck, why not the words : "alter" ? "deface" ? "disturb" ? "Vandalize"? Naturally we wouldn't allow those other words to necessarily apply to md'ing, because we know that we'll cover our holes and leave no traces. Hence haven't defacED or alterED anything, right ?

So too do I not let the word "dig" necessarily apply. Because the same grammer of alter verses alterED, is there for dig vs dug. In both tenses of the word, it is merely present tense versus past tense. The only difference is, we don't spell it digged.

Yes I realize not everyone will agree with this semantics of grammar. And yes I realize that md'ing carries connotations to some busy-bodies. Fine then: Pick lower traffic hours and avoid those singular nosy-parkers :)

Hey Welcome! I hunt a lot of schools, Sunday morning is the BEST....even on Saturdays during the year and Summer break theres some sort of function going on it seems, so you just dont want to be there being seen by anybody if you can help it...Not that you are doing anything 'wrong', just one less thing to worry about...

I hunted two yesterday while everybody was doing the Easter thing...never saw another person, and had a good time..it can take years to properly hunt a school on account of you only get 50 days per year to get in to them half way decently...learn how to use a screwdriver, dress somewhat nicely, dont carry any gear like a sharp digger...be ready to smile if approached and just be a nice guy appearing to be out to get a little exercise...I've never been tossed or told to get lost, but I take great pains being invisible...GL and HH!
Mud

Attachments

• mar 27-16-2.jpg
    mar 27-16-2.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 162
  • mar 27-16-1.jpg
    mar 27-16-1.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 168
  • mar 27-16.jpg
    mar 27-16.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 165
..I've never been tossed or told to get lost, but I take great pains being invisible......

Correct. Sort of like nose-picking: not illegal, but ... you still pick discreet times to do it, so as not to offend the squeemish. Nor do you seek permission to pick your nose. Well, for turf anyhow (that carries connotations). Beaches and cow-pasture type environs are less likely to ruffle anyone's feathers :)

Welcome from Seattle! I recommend joining one of the local metal detecting clubs. The folks there can tell you where you can hunt. Also, rural Texas is covered with old abandoned farm houses and if you're courteous in your approach, most of the ranchers will allow you to hunt those old sites.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

... I recommend joining one of the local metal detecting clubs. The folks there can tell you where you can hunt....

Very few local md'ing clubs left these days, ever since the era of the internet took over the info-sharing and socializing aspect of our hobby. Nowadays, people log on to a forum to learn about the tech, to show & tell, to meet other locales, etc... Hence RIP for clubs :tissue:

As for those in the club to answer the specific question here, I harken back to our own city's club (1980 to 1996), and recall that the answer you would get, could/would often depend on who you asked. Some members were more skittish, while others were more free-wheeling and care-free. We had one member, for instance, that would answer any such question with "you must ask permission at each park, in each city, that you come to". She & her husband travelled around in their RV in their retired golden years, and this was her admonition to any such question. While other guys would say "just hunt till told otherwise, or unless there's a sign saying no".

Hence even in a club, you *could* get answers that vary :)

If it's a public spot and it is not posted specifically saying no metal detecting then go for it. Just make good plugs and leave as little trace as possible.

I'd start detecting any public park and if there's a problem someone will let you know. LOL Also getting permission hunts at private older homes is easy if you'll just ask. My sister and brother in law have a beach home in Galveston and she says that she sees guys metal detecting there all the time. Since I've started metal detecting, I have not stayed at their beach home. I can stay there anytime that I want and as long as I want. I've never done any beach detecting. I guess I need to give it a try.

beephead

Back
Top Bottom