Waterproofing Your Gore-Tex Waders

fsa46

Forum Supporter
Which product do you :pirates: prefer for waterproofing your Gore-Tex waders , Revivex or Nikwax TX Direct ? :feedback:

Hey there. I sell Nik-Wax products where I work and I use them myself. I would recommend using the Nik-Wax "Tec Wash" first to clean the waders. Tec-Wash is key because it is residue free and won't block the microscopic pores in the Gore-Tex. Then use the Nik-Wax TX-Direct SPRAY on the outside of the waders to replenish the DWR (Durabale Waterproof Repellancy) of the outer-most nylon layer only. The inner layer of your waders needs to be hydrophilic (water attracting) to wick perspiration to the outside of the waders. Using TX-Direct on the inside would waterproof the inside layer of nylon and you don't want that. If you already have the TX-Direct in wash-in form you can apply it with a soaked cloth to the outside of the waders only. Also, check the washing instructions for the waders to see if you can iron them. Sounds crazy right. By ironing the outside layer of nylon you are also replenishing the DWR. If you can't (or don't want to) iron the outside layer you can also use the iron as a steamer to achieve the same results. You know when DWR is replenished when water beads up and rolls off the outside of the waders (like water beading up and rolling off a freshly waxed car). Anytime this doesn't happen water will soak into the micro-thin outermost nylon layer darkening the color. That water stays there and if the water is colder than your body temp it can cause condensation on the inside of the waders which gets you wet and uncomfortable and leads you to believe the Gore-Tex is not working. Also, make sure you wear clothing underneath that also facilitates wicking and passing "out" perspiration. Stay away from cotton because it wicks well but doesn't pass it along. I wear Patagonia "silk weight" long underwear under my Gore-Tex rainwear for its wicking ability. I hope this info helps you. Let me know if you have any more questions and I will do my best to answer. GL and HH. Matt

Hey there. I sell Nik-Wax products where I work and I use them myself. I would recommend using the Nik-Wax "Tec Wash" first to clean the waders. Tec-Wash is key because it is residue free and won't block the microscopic pores in the Gore-Tex. Then use the Nik-Wax TX-Direct SPRAY on the outside of the waders to replenish the DWR (Durabale Waterproof Repellancy) of the outer-most nylon layer only. The inner layer of your waders needs to be hydrophilic (water attracting) to wick perspiration to the outside of the waders. Using TX-Direct on the inside would waterproof the inside layer of nylon and you don't want that. If you already have the TX-Direct in wash-in form you can apply it with a soaked cloth to the outside of the waders only. Also, check the washing instructions for the waders to see if you can iron them. Sounds crazy right. By ironing the outside layer of nylon you are also replenishing the DWR. If you can't (or don't want to) iron the outside layer you can also use the iron as a steamer to achieve the same results. You know when DWR is replenished when water beads up and rolls off the outside of the waders (like water beading up and rolling off a freshly waxed car). Anytime this doesn't happen water will soak into the micro-thin outermost nylon layer darkening the color. That water stays there and if the water is colder than your body temp it can cause condensation on the inside of the waders which gets you wet and uncomfortable and leads you to believe the Gore-Tex is not working. Also, make sure you wear clothing underneath that also facilitates wicking and passing "out" perspiration. Stay away from cotton because it wicks well but doesn't pass it along. I wear Patagonia "silk weight" long underwear under my Gore-Tex rainwear for its wicking ability. I hope this info helps you. Let me know if you have any more questions and I will do my best to answer. GL and HH. Matt

Great info....thanks.

Good reply! I never put anything on mine I just let them do there thing, plus wet it keeps the ticks in check as I'm passing thru.

Waterproofing Gortex? :?: Isn't Gortex inherently waterproof? I would think that any loss of water resistance would indicate that there is damage or wear to the waterproof layer and is likely in need of repair or replacement.

If you are looking for something to wash the waders, but won't affect the breathabilty I recommend Atsko Sport Wash. I use it on my breathable waders and all my wet and dry suits. It does a great job of removing dirt and eliminating odors.

Waterproofing Gortex? :?: Isn't Gortex inherently waterproof? I would think that any loss of water resistance would indicate that there is damage or wear to the waterproof layer and is likely in need of repair or replacement.

QUOTE]

Unfortunately all Gore-Tex products lose their waterproof qualities eventually and require waterproof treatment. There are several products out there that will do the job.

The makers of Gore-Tex recommends the use of Nikwax TX Direct to waterproof the garment when it no longer sheds water .

QUOTE]

Unfortunately all Gore-Tex products lose their waterproof qualities eventually and require waterproof treatment. There are several products out there that will do the job.

The makers of Gore-Tex recommends the use of Nikwax TX Direct to waterproof the garment when it no longer sheds water .

That's something I was not aware of. My breathable waders are all "Dri Plus" fabric made by Cabela's. They have never needed anything other than washed to maintain their waterproof barrier.

FSA
I never knew it could loose it's WP qualities, this is from the Gore-Tex site.

GORE-TEX® fabric will last for many years. It's incredibly durable, and unlike other "waterproof/breathable" fabrics that can lose waterproofness after repeated laundering, flexing, abrasion, or exposure to body oils or insect spray, the waterproofness and breathability of GORE-TEX® fabric is guaranteed under any conditions you may encounter.

But it does not say for life...

After rereading Matthias's post I think we may be discussing two different issues. One being the waterproof under layer (The Gortex) and the second being the water repellent outer layer (Nylon or whaterever it may be).
I can understand how the outer layer may refreshed with some added water resistance, but Gortex and other breathable waterproof layers are basically a layer with tiny little microscopic holes that allow water vapor to escape, but won't allow liquid water to through. I don't think there are any products that could fix a water failure of this level without destroying the breathable qualities.

Last edited:
FSA
I never knew it could loose it's WP qualities, this is from the Gore-Tex site.

GORE-TEX® fabric will last for many years. It's incredibly durable, and unlike other "waterproof/breathable" fabrics that can lose waterproofness after repeated laundering, flexing, abrasion, or exposure to body oils or insect spray, the waterproofness and breathability of GORE-TEX® fabric is guaranteed under any conditions you may encounter.

But it does not say for life...

Joe, It's the product that's used over the Gore-Tex that has to be rejuvenated.

Back
Top Bottom