Gold with interesting hallmarks...

Crumble

Elite Member
Forum Supporter
It seems that in the past, makers marks were a lot more interesting. It's pretty cool to see a variety of old makers marks. I found this one yesterday, 5 makers marks is a little excessive... :D

You guys got any rings with interesting makers marks?

Attachments

• P1300001.jpg
    P1300001.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 3,165
Last edited:
Yeah, I found out the crown means solid gold, anchor stands for the city of Birmingham?, and the 18 is obviously 18k. No idea on the other ones.

The letter is the date. Your ring was hallmarked in Birmingham in 1892. The other stamp is the makers mark, in your case in might be L&L. There are many sites for dating British gold items...this one is pretty easy and fun to use:

http://www.gold-traders.co.uk/hallmarks/

Thanks for the info and the link! Pretty cool little tool! Didn't think the ring would be that old, probably my oldest find! :D

More likely when the company opened for business much like sterling. Nice find.... especially with the big 18.

Dew

More likely when the company opened for business much like sterling. Nice find.... especially with the big 18.

Dew

No, all English made precious metal objects are marked with the metal content, city of assay, maker, and year of actual manufacture. The date code is always a letter, and every 26 years they change the style or font of the letters. This applies to silver as well as gold, and is always spot on for the actual date of manufacture. They have very strict laws regarding the marking of precious metal items there, and whatever is stamped on the item will be true. By looking at the style of the letter and comparing it to the charts you will know what year the object was made.

No, all English made precious metal objects are marked with the metal content, city of assay, maker, and year of actual manufacture. The date code is always a letter, and every 26 years they change the style or font of the letters. This applies to silver as well as gold, and is always spot on for the actual date of manufacture. They have very strict laws regarding the marking of precious metal items there, and whatever is stamped on the item will be true. By looking at the style of the letter and comparing it to the charts you will know what year the object was made.

Very interesting. Thank you.

Here is the complete ring, missing one diamond. Diamond tests good and red stones test as ruby/sapphire on my Presidium Gem Tester.

:wow2: Nice find, and great topic on looking up hallmarks.

Back
Top Bottom