• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Stories of buried silver coins in mason jars.

bamadigtab

Elite Member
I have hunted several home sites. I would say at least half of the land owners claim that grandpa or great grandpa buried mason jars full of silver dollars and coins. I've hunted lot's of sites, dug ton's of mason jar lids as deep as 18 -20" and have as of yet to dig a mason jar with only 1 wheat penny in it, come to think of it I've never dug an empty mason jar with a metal jar lid. Of the many jar lids I've dug.

Question has anyone on this forum ever personally proved any buried jar with silver in it story by digging one up? Now please don't say well I had a friend of mine that knew a guy with a metal detector that dug a mason jar full of coins. :laughing:

Please give me personal stories .... :lol:

I posted a similar question months ago. I think the prospect of uncovering something significant or valuable (like a jar full of silver) is one of the things that keeps us all going but in reality it doesn't appear such caches are ever (or at least extremely rarely) uncovered. It's a possibility of course. Everyone knows someone who knows someone who has found one, but have any of "us" ever found one? I for one, rarely dig large objects unless I am bored, have good reason to believe I should, or am just very curious at the time (intuition). With that said....I'm still searching....and hoping......and digging.

None here but I would have a heart attack on the spot if I did dig up a jar full of silver. I wonder how much that would be if they were only worth a buck each. Throw in significant coins and holy !!!!. Today just holding an 1889 silver dollar at the coin shop got me excited. I was four frikkin bucks shy of being able to buy it off the guy. Good luck in getting pics and info for this i will be watching to see who chimes in

I would figure the blaring signal is a big piece of junk and pass on digging it up.

Not all caches were put in jars. I know people always look for caches that were accessible and were planned on being retrieved. But. There are caches that were planned on NOT being retrieved. Ones that someone may have hid from family and strangers alike. These caches are going to be hard to find as most likely the seceret never got out. But on occasion the legend leaks. These are usually buried in burlap or leather. I don't have friends, good luck.

there was a forum member who found a metal box with a bunch of silver coins in it
he had pics and everything about 2 years ago

I wonder every time I hit an "overload" signal and don't dig it, if I am passing up on a Cache. I even go back and dig some just to be sure. So far, just cans and junk. I think that whether or not I would spend the energy would depend on where I was at the time. If I were in the back yard of an old home site. I would dig it, at the beach, I would leave it.

I did find a chinese coin under a jar lid a while back, I was pretty excited for a moment but there was nothing else there.

Seems like you would put a jar of coins in your attic or basement before you would bury them in the yard.

I had a good signal today while doing a old church yard that had a house on it back in the 20's. Right under a old tree with overhanging branches all over. Had to crawl in and start digging due to the location and depth. Someone buried a old can with nothing in it....maybe close but no cigar :no:

I had a good signal today while doing a old church yard that had a house on it back in the 20's. Right under a old tree with overhanging branches all over. Had to crawl in and start digging due to the location and depth. Someone buried a old can with nothing in it....maybe close but no cigar :no:

Maybe it was a can of cigars, LOL!

I don't mean this sarcastically but I probably wouldn't have dug it unless I was bored. My loss I guess. The times I have moved rocks in rock fences and rock piles around here to check something out it has always been some broken piece of farm machinery or cast iron stove. Rock piles/fences were also king of places to throw junk. If only they had known 100 yrs ago about detectors...well, I guess that would be one more reason to hide your silver in with a bunch of other junk under a big pile of rocks. DOH! Great find!

i found a broken mason jar with over 50 wheatys in it. very cool but was wishin it was silver. found a silver quarter and dime in the yard aswell. detected it several times since and havnt found much more to speak of

I have some doubts about local legends. Some people who are on a limited income, and quite frugal, get some of those stories started. There are husbands, who have to stash their pocket cash, because the wife figures if it's in a pants pocket (laundry day...), or laying around, it's hers (finder's, keeper's rule). Most of those jar theories just don't make a whole lot of sense. Someone who isn't well off, will need frequent access to such a stash, either to add a few coins occasionally, or dip into it when things are extra tight. Don't there are all that many people, who come into coins by the jarful, to just bury and forget. Jars of coins are usually an accumulation over years. Could be that some, once their change jar got full, may have stashed it, rather than bother taking to the bank for paper. But, in reality, I have some serious doubts about there being a lot of buried jars of coins out there. Coins are usually day-to-day, pocket money, not you retirement fund, or major living expenses.

Back
Top Bottom