Has anyone ever hunted a shallow creek or stream

streams

I have hunted a very rocky shallow stream/river....it is really hard getting targets out! You need to bring a pry bar of some type, a small pick ax (like the ones a climber would use). A very large straight screw driver is also use full. I hunted a spot where people go to float down stream in tude's + rubber rafts. In late summer when the water level has dropped you can get in to the deeper pools that people use to jump out of the tubes etc. I had some really good luck found lots of jewelry,coins,pocket knives etc. What type of stream/river did you plan to hunt? You also want a tool to get into cracks in big rocks to dig finds out of cracks...I got a couple rings this way. Good luck!!

I hunted almost exclusively in rocky water. I just use my folding shovel. When I find a target, I just dig where it's easiest. Like if there is a ton of rocks, I find the one my target is under and dig out the rocks around it then dig the rock the target is under.

I have no idea if that made sense.

But it works!

very rarely do I have to spend more than 10 or so seconds finding a target

good luck and happy hunting!

Good hunting!

We also have some areas where there are some shallow creeks and streams North of Vegas.

Good luck Sam!! In your area it is possible to find gold nuggets??? am I right? The sand bar hunting should be easy just a sand scoop. I know alot of people park there boats on sand bar areas and get out to swim and party!! Sand bars may be a real hot spot!! Look forward to seeing how you do!! HAPPY HUNTING!! GET THE GOLD!! :extrahappy:

I've heard of people having really good success hunting in creeks and brooks, especially at historic crossings sites. Best of luck

Streams

I've heard of people having really good success hunting in creeks and brooks, especially at historic crossings sites. Best of luck

Colebear, your from Mass. Have you ever done streams here?? One of the places I did well was in Greenfield Ma. area and near Shelburne Fall's along RT-2 , I found a old RR bridge that people would jump from in early summer, but in late summer water levels dropped enough to get into the spot to hunt. There was another spot near a picnic area were I alwats saw people swimming and using tire tube's to float around. Wish the area was closer to home!! HH maybe we'll run in to eachother some day!

Hey Beach-hunter and Xaquin, thanks for the tips! Xaquin, do I understand that you detector around the rock (circling?)? We have a creek behind us that I've tried, to no success. There's an old forge where the farmers used to take their wagons/tractors across, but I haven't found anything there (sandy/muddy/gravelly bottom). Upstream is a place that used to be a swimming hole, but the state changed the stream bed to control flooding. The old hole is kind of filled in, is only ankle to knee deep, and has rocks I'd have to hunt around. You guys inspired me to give it a shot! Thanks! Curt

Yeah out here there is the possibilty of gold nuggets, I would probably have to travel north for those. Thanks for the tips about having a sturdy pry tool along for the rocky areas. I have some time before I plan to try water hunting, and am going to try to fabricate my own scoops/tools. I REALLY want to hunt those sand bars though, drunk-oily people in the water I mean there must be a fortune in that area, the problem there is I would have to rent a boat/canoe to do so.

I havnt had the chance to detect in the streams too much and I havnt found any of the old swimming holes around here. I did detect along the edge of the river and got my one and only barber dime, and at an old rock bridge crossing I got an old flat button.

Hey Beach-hunter and Xaquin, thanks for the tips! Xaquin, do I understand that you detector around the rock (circling?)? We have a creek behind us that I've tried, to no success. There's an old forge where the farmers used to take their wagons/tractors across, but I haven't found anything there (sandy/muddy/gravelly bottom). Upstream is a place that used to be a swimming hole, but the state changed the stream bed to control flooding. The old hole is kind of filled in, is only ankle to knee deep, and has rocks I'd have to hunt around. You guys inspired me to give it a shot! Thanks! Curt

I think I need to make a video for what I'm talking about .... now if I could find my tripod lol

I'll try this way

o = rocks
t = target rock

00t000

I'll scoop some rocks to the side so the target site looks like this:

0 0
0 t 0
0 0

then I dig the target rock.

edit: it sort of worked lol

I think I need to make a video for what I'm talking about .... now if I could find my tripod lol

I'll try this way

o = rocks
t = target rock

00t000

I'll scoop some rocks to the side so the target site looks like this:

0 0
0 t 0
0 0

then I dig the target rock.

edit: it sort of worked lol

Looks like you circle it, eliminate some of the clutter, circle it some more, then go in for the taget. I think I can handle that! Thanks! Curt

Hitting up the "party bars" could very well be worth your trouble, all the drunk hotties making some deposit's at the sand bar!

You also want a tool to get into cracks in big rocks to dig finds out of cracks...I got a couple rings this way. Good luck!!

would this come in handy?
grabber.jpg
i want to try in some rocky shallows at a local stream but fear coil damage.

would this come in handy?
grabber.jpg
i want to try in some rocky shallows at a local stream but fear coil damage.

I can't speak for all places, but around here, you have to dig through a bunch of muck after the rocks have been moved so that wouldn't help much =(

Back
Top Bottom