Fooled Twice In The Ghetto

arw40

Forum Supporter
Raining at a good clip and 67 this morning my kinda conditions. Those that have saw my last several posts know that I have been wandering into the lions den ( ghetto ) to poach a meal. I picked another good size park in a really bad city. I know not too smart. No risk equals no reward. I figured its raining hard there may only be a passing tweaker or crackhead to contend with. I arrived at the park and couldnt believe what I was looking at. This is NO JOKE. Its raining like no tomorrow and in front of me is a full blown party being set up ( no tents ) paper table cloths that are soaked as well as all other party things. There were 4 questionable people sitting in the rain at the table as well as others in their cars. Now you have a vision of what im dealing with.

I started my hunt around the basketball area and am finding the usual clad, pull tabs, etc. As Im going along I hear the sound of a basketball. I look up and there is 3 of them playing hoop in the pouring rain. Im like this is unreal. I continue along and am digging a coin and look up and now theres a man about 5 feet from me. I take off my one headphone that I had on and he asks " how much one of those machines cost " ? Im thinking great, hes asking because he wants to know how much he can get for it after he robs me. I chatted with him a few minutes and he went on his way. Mind you now that I am probably the only white person in this section of town so all eyes are on me. I continued on for 2 hours in the pouring rain and made out pretty well. I got skunked not once but twice today digging targets that looked so good coming out of the dirt. The first was a larger heart shaped what I thought was a pendant but turned out to be an earring and the second was a ring that was about 6 inches down that looked new when I turned the plug. I didnt dare look at anything there in the park but was thinking I have two good targets out of this park.

Well, I got home and cleaned everything up. It was then that I discovered that both items were PLATED !! I also found a toe ring that I broke and took in $11.36 in clad for 2 hours so it wasnt a bust really. Oh yeah. I also found the top part to one of the hoodlums pot grinders. I thought it was a revolver speed loader at first in the dirt before I pulled it out. Pretty amusing day for what I thought was going to be very quiet. Hope all made out well today. HH !

Attachments

• DSCN0583.jpg
    DSCN0583.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 522
  • DSCN0588.jpg
    DSCN0588.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 472
  • DSCN0584.jpg
    DSCN0584.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 480
  • DSCN0586.jpg
    DSCN0586.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 468
Riches and rewards, risks and rainfall. I don't think I would have made this hunt Andy. The rain alone would have kept me home and try. Still the chance of digging something special means you got to get out and dig. That is unless your a contestant on a game show. Nice clad totals for two hours of effort. Congrats! Trapper

Nice take on clad none the less. If anyone asks me i just say the machine is worth like 20 bucks, not worth their time...

I hunted NYC parks for the past 12 years.including the South Bronx and I find that most people are just curious about the hobby,many from central or south america or the Islands want to go back home and get Oro they think is there and want to know how much a machine costs and are very nice people.You go early on a summer weekend and the the folk are gathering for the family cookout and looking to claim a spot.the boomboxes will be blaring and beer flowing.I have had a couple of incidents with druggies but if you know how to handle yourself you can defuse the situation.I am a retired cop and I do carry but I will say go early stay away from the BB courts where the Bangers hang and you will be all right.I've had a lot more hassales in the yuppified area parks by all the Libs who think you should not dig in their park as their dogs sh** all over.Oh well.HH

Riches and rewards, risks and rainfall. I don't think I would have made this hunt Andy. The rain alone would have kept me home and try. Still the chance of digging something special means you got to get out and dig. That is unless your a contestant on a game show. Nice clad totals for two hours of effort. Congrats! Trapper

I`m just the opposite Trapper. I love to hunt in the rain. It USUALLY means no people to contend with, better depth with the machine and easy digging. The questionable areas I have been hitting are a roll of the dice. I do approach with caution. Most of these places are loaded with clad and junk so you have to get that out first before you can start hitting the jewelry which means several trips.

I hunted NYC parks for the past 12 years.including the South Bronx and I find that most people are just curious about the hobby,many from central or south america or the Islands want to go back home and get Oro they think is there and want to know how much a machine costs and are very nice people.You go early on a summer weekend and the the folk are gathering for the family cookout and looking to claim a spot.the boomboxes will be blaring and beer flowing.I have had a couple of incidents with druggies but if you know how to handle yourself you can defuse the situation.I am a retired cop and I do carry but I will say go early stay away from the BB courts where the Bangers hang and you will be all right.I've had a lot more hassales in the yuppified area parks by all the Libs who think you should not dig in their park as their dogs sh** all over.Oh well.HH

You are correct in that most people are just curious. The particular area where I was though their only interests are in dime bags, eight balls, and bumps of crack. I hunt with my head on a swivel and only one headphone on. I USUALLY am out at sun up and back home by 10-11 unless im hunting school fields etc. I dont run into anyone out very early. I approach every situation cautiously until I can get a good vibe. Be vigilant thats all.

I have hunted a local city park that is In the HOOD. Both times a gentleman came out to see what I was doing and I explained it to him. He thanked me and said I just like to keep an eye on what is happening in my neighborhood. I felt much safer knowing that he stayed aware of what was going on near his home.

Thats a nice haul...Man though, I cant hunt outside the wire or safety of the green zone until a November windy and sleety kind of day anymore...Not for the past 3 yrs....Zombies wandering around at all hours and in all weather...

Some of these parks have been filling up with drops! A guy only gets about 15 minutes to get in and out without being noticed...I drive poor and dress poor but still, I am out of place...In these areas, when somebody axes me what my detector is worth, I tell them "About $25"...They absorb this information and You can see in their eyes they are weighing the cost ratio benefit SWOT analysis! :laughing:....

Just 'cause some stranger axes me a question, it dont mean I am obliged to give them an honest answer! "Find anything?"..."Yup! Pennies and pulltabs!" :laughing: You can also brandish your Pinpointer as if its some sort of stungun! Nobody knows exactly what it is but us...:laughing:

Nice haul there for sure. I used to go to a lot of sketchy parks but only at first light. Even then, I still never did that well. Got tired of digging junk and fake jewelry. So it's been a while since I have been back.

Thats a nice haul...Man though, I cant hunt outside the wire or safety of the green zone until a November windy and sleety kind of day anymore...Not for the past 3 yrs....Zombies wandering around at all hours and in all weather...

Some of these parks have been filling up with drops! A guy only gets about 15 minutes to get in and out without being noticed...I drive poor and dress poor but still, I am out of place...In these areas, when somebody axes me what my detector is worth, I tell them "About $25"...They absorb this information and You can see in their eyes they are weighing the cost ratio benefit SWOT analysis! :laughing:....

Just 'cause some stranger axes me a question, it dont mean I am obliged to give them an honest answer! "Find anything?"..."Yup! Pennies and pulltabs!" :laughing: You can also brandish your Pinpointer as if its some sort of stungun! Nobody knows exactly what it is but us...:laughing:

Thats too funny John...I headed out today to a school that I hit once a year. A coworker told me about an old field that is no longer used there but use to be a soccer field. I located it and you would never know it was a used field before. Long story short I worked one side of it for 3 hours and took in another $14.03 in clad today ( Sunday ) The last 3 weekends my totals have been $33+ $31+ and this weekend was $25+....it all adds up.

Great haul , be safe out there.
When you look at the neighborhood around these parks it just makes your mouth water thinking about what could be there.
It is a much harder hunt then one would imagine.
At least from my experiences.
Been to a few old parks with a few very heavyweights as far as hunters go.
The oldies aren't easy to find .
Great post !
, Dew

This has been my experience as well. I highly doubt I have as bad of a ghetto as you are going to but in my ghetto I've never once been asked to leave or looked at like I wasn't wanted. I've had a few good talks with people and a one intense where someone was saying something about digging holes (young gangster kind of guy), I just went over and talked to him and all was good. He was just showing out for his boys and defusing the situation was easy.

Back
Top Bottom