• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Half dollar score

needler420

Elite Member
While waiting for my next half dollar box I walked into another branch of mine for my usual coin and asked if they had any half dollars. Usually when they do it's a small handful all loose.

Well the same bank teller that hooked me up with one of my wells fargo banks bags last time said she just had someone turn in 8 rolls. I said I'd take them all. Driving home I said to myself those wraps look kind of old.

I only have opened 1/8 rolls and pulled 5 40%
1967x2

still shaking. Still have the 7 rolls to do plus other denominations.

QsGxk9o.jpg

While waiting for my next half dollar box I walked into another branch of mine for my usual coin and asked if they had any half dollars. Usually when they do it's a small handful all loose.

Well the same bank teller that hooked me up with one of my wells fargo banks bags last time said she just had someone turn in 8 rolls. I said I'd take them all. Driving home I said to myself those wraps look kind of old.

I only have opened 1/8 rolls and pulled 5 40%
1967x2

still shaking. Still have the 7 rolls to do plus other denominations.

QsGxk9o.jpg

Well.... open them up! Right now!

Congrats on the silver haul! I order one box per week from my bank... but they never seem to have any rolled or loose coin turned in by customers because they have a coin machine. HH!

Congrats on the silver haul! I order one box per week from my bank... but they never seem to have any rolled or loose coin turned in by customers because they have a coin machine. HH!
They have a coin machine...hmmmm...well then, you know what you have to do!

They have a coin machine...hmmmm...well then, you know what you have to do!

Break the coin machine?

I could tell the 40% were throw backs. Found nine between two rolls out of eight full rolls. Not one 90%. I still don't even own a half dollar that is pre 1965 and 90%.

What's funny is the silver content is about equal to a 90% quarter. So while they were mining all the quarters they ignored 40% half's.

Break the coin machine?

I could tell the 40% were throw backs. Found nine between two rolls out of eight full rolls. Not one 90%. I still don't even own a half dollar that is pre 1965 and 90%.

What's funny is the silver content is about equal to a 90% quarter. So while they were mining all the quarters they ignored 40% half's.
Break the coin machine? Oy vey, you’re a newb, right? No, there’s an easier way. Find the head teller, and politely ask to buy the bag contained within the machine.

It isn’t so much the 40% are intentionally thrown back, like back in the day when the Hunts tried to corner the silver market and drove the price sky high, and wanted as close to pure silver as possible. Of course, later they lost their shirts. 40% silver halves cost more to refine. Nowadays, they pretty much just change hands among stackers.

Break the coin machine? Oy vey, you’re a newb, right? No, there’s an easier way. Find the head teller, and politely ask to buy the bag contained within the machine.

It isn’t so much the 40% are intentionally thrown back, like back in the day when the Hunts tried to corner the silver market and drove the price sky high, and wanted as close to pure silver as possible. Of course, later they lost their shirts. 40% silver halves cost more to refine. Nowadays, they pretty much just change hands among stackers.
The good news is that I have a great relationship with the head teller, and already can buy the bags once full. The bad news is that because of the fact that they have a fee usage and are a smallish sized credit union, it takes forever to fill the half dollar bags. It's a definite exercise in patience for me!

The good news is that I have a great relationship with the head teller, and already can buy the bags once full. The bad news is that because of the fact that they have a fee usage and are a smallish sized credit union, it takes forever to fill the half dollar bags. It's a definite exercise in patience for me!
I apologize for calling you a newb.

Nice score...Royal Congrats! Around here, no teller takes in rolled coins, but insist that the rolls be broken and dumped into their machine. The only think KT ever ran across is someone tried to dump some Ike dollars in the dump machine and jammed it up, so the bank bought them off the person! 176 of them. By the time KT heard about it the teller, who had been giving them out as novelties to customers in their transactions, was down to 35. His Majesty bought the rest of them and recovered one 40% Ag Ike from them! HA HA Too bad KT did not get them all!

After dumping one day, someone called the bank and said they were bringing in several rolls of silver halves. The teller called KT and He made a fast run to the bank. The teller had 6 rolls of Kens, hand rolled, and sold them to KT. He promptly took them to the dump machine and sorted out the silver and dumped the rest...got 8 40%ers from those rolls...so you never know!

Scored again. 28 silvers from my banks and 3 from a box today. They handed me a bunch of loose silvers.

OGqVcVJ.jpg

N95JvWd.jpg

OOeLA6D.jpg

Yeah since I started coin roll hunting I've found 47 40% Kennedy's. I haven't found not one 90% silver yet:mad:

You'll find some.. keep up the good work

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Yeah since I started coin roll hunting I've found 47 40% Kennedy's. I haven't found not one 90% silver yet:mad:
i never found many 90% halves as far back as seven years ago, but found 40’s galore. I sold about $2k worth in silver value, and bought the 90’s.

Back
Top Bottom