2 Days, Connecticut Copper, KG2, 1 Silver Coin/ring

DigginLikeADog

It has been such a cool week.. Sorry for all the pics.. a little carried away.

DAY ONE: It was damp and rainy all day Thursday(5/10), but even on days like that I can only watch metal detecting videos on Youtube so much before I can't take it and have to go out and treasure hunt.

I went to a local park (opened 1965) and started my hunt. I was almost immediately greeted by park maintenance.. uh oh.. they dropped a gate pin down in a ravine before winter and haven't been able to find it. It was recovered in two minutes.. they said it was the first time they were happy to see a guy with a metal detector lol

I had done some research prior to know that the drive leading into the park was once a road that passed through the area and that there had been houses along the route. An hour into it I pulled an unidentifiable coin out of the ground. I thought it was a really beat large cent, I slipped it into my pocket and stayed for just another hour.

No matter how much I put into it, this thing was caked with grunge. I don't usually clean my coins but I dropped this one in peroxide and worked a little with a wet QTip and I was surprised to see CONNEC appear along the right side of left-facing bust. Holy !!!!- I found a Connecticut Copper! Unfortunately I can't make out a year on it- I know its 1780s

Also found a Walker that was going through the ol' spoon process of ring-making

DAY TWO: Yesterday (Friday 5/11) was a beautiful day. I had things to do in the afternoon, but I was still reeling over my colonial copper, so I got up early and heading to a local nature trail to do some detecting along the old stone walls- it's one of those places I always think about going to, but always end up somewhere else.

Anyway, we (my dog and I), headed in and started the hunt. First I pulled a massive door hinge out of the ground. Then a square nail. Then another square nail. and finally!! Another square nail. Hate when that happens.

Off the corner of the foundation, maybe 20 yards away is probably the biggest elm tree I've ever seen. Dropped my coil, and it immediately started singing. Three inches down I pull another unidentifiable (this time, bent) coin. This time I was positive it was a large cent. Slipped in my pocket, swept the area, and went home.

Got home and began the cleaning process. Now I can't be 100% but I'm pretty sure that this bent piece of copper is a KG2? I did a side by side to compare. What do you think? Still trying to get the year off it.

Attachments

• connec 1.jpg
    connec 1.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 380
  • Connec 2.jpg
    Connec 2.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 372
  • connec 3.jpg
    connec 3.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 361
  • WLR1.jpg
    WLR1.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 448
  • WLR2.jpg
    WLR2.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 408
  • WLR3.jpg
    WLR3.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 410
  • KG21.jpg
    KG21.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 390
  • KG22.jpg
    KG22.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 335
  • KG23.jpg
    KG23.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 447
  • Coppers1.jpg
    Coppers1.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 395
  • Coppers2.jpg
    Coppers2.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:
That spoon ring Walker is really cool!
One of our club members found a spoon ring Franklin half recently:yes:

Great finds. Love seeing these things in CT getting found....gives me more hope and excitement

Back
Top Bottom