Updated with Pic -- Following in SCUBA's Flippers

Numil

Elite Member
Got a call over the weekend. I was recommended to a guy because I both SCUBA dive and metal detect. Seems this gentleman lost his fiance's engagement ring in a pool of water at the base of a waterfall on a stream flowing down out of the mountains. Would I help him look for it? The guy even has video!

So here's how the loss went. They're standing at the top of a sheer 30 foot cliff (that's 10m) when he asks her to marry him. He puts the ring on her finger then mentions there's an inscription on the inside of the ring. THe ring's a little tight so she tugs on it and, you guess it fumbles the ring and it drops into the pool at the bottom of the cliff.

This pool is about 50 ft across (17m) and at the point where the ring dropped about 10 ft (3 m) deep. Too deep to snorkel and spend anytime upder the water and Oh!, did I mention, its been raining in the mountains the last few days and the water is pretty murky. Murky to the point your nose has to almost touch the bottom to be able to see anything.

Spent 2 hours Saturday and about the same Sunday looking but did not find THE ring we were looking for. Did find a small but heavy silver ring, an iWatch (still working) a Zeiss watch and a 1942 Merc dime. Hopefully we'll get a chance later in this week to look for more and hopefully the water will clear up so visability will be better. I'm not holding my breath though, a hurricane is making tracks for us and the path is far from sure. Could miss by miles or could run over all the islands makin it look like Puerto Rica last year. We'll keep you posted.

All the while I was down there searching I kept thinking to myself, "What would SCUBA do?" Oh well hopefully the ring will still be there. I dont think anyone had ever run a detector over that mountain pool EVER! just too much good stuff in there.

When I get a chance I'll post pics of the finds and hopefully an update will include they guy's ring. The pic he showed me it was a honker with a big fat diamond.

Attachments

• Honey Hole Pic.jpg
    Honey Hole Pic.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
If you have a virgin little area like that I don't think I would go anywhere else until I was sure I covered the whole thing. Your adventure awaits!

Got a call over the weekend. I was recommended to a guy because I both SCUBA dive and metal detect. Seems this gentleman lost his fiance's engagement ring in a pool of water at the base of a waterfall on a stream flowing down out of the mountains. Would I help him look for it? The guy even has video!

So here's how the loss went. They're standing at the top of a sheer 30 foot cliff (that's 10m) when he asks her to marry him. He puts the ring on her finger then mentions there's an inscription on the inside of the ring. THe ring's a little tight so she tugs on it and, you guess it fumbles the ring and it drops into the pool at the bottom of the cliff.

This pool is about 50 ft across (17m) and at the point where the ring dropped about 10 ft (3 m) deep. Too deep to snorkel and spend anytime upder the water and Oh!, did I mention, its been raining in the mountains the last few days and the water is pretty murky. Murky to the point your nose has to almost touch the bottom to be able to see anything.

Spent 2 hours Saturday and about the same Sunday looking but did not find THE ring we were looking for. Did find a small but heavy silver ring, an iWatch (still working) a Zeiss watch and a 1942 Merc dime. Hopefully we'll get a chance later in this week to look for more and hopefully the water will clear up so visability will be better. I'm not holding my breath though, a hurricane is making tracks for us and the path is far from sure. Could miss by miles or could run over all the islands makin it look like Puerto Rica last year. We'll keep you posted.

All the while I was down there searching I kept thinking to myself, "What would SCUBA do?" Oh well hopefully the ring will still be there. I dont think anyone had ever run a detector over that mountain pool EVER! just too much good stuff in there.

When I get a chance I'll post pics of the finds and hopefully an update will include they guy's ring. The pic he showed me it was a honker with a big fat diamond.

you asked "What would SCUBA do?" Well he would just go down there and find it.:laughing:

Uh oh ... someone here is going to give Scuba a run for his money ! Pretty soon, we'll all be bored with Scuba post adventures :laughing:

Wow that sounds challenging but rewarding for sure! Keep us updated. Awesome on the Merc, silver ring and watches too!

Last edited:
Maunawili?
If so I've dove it. With the recent rains make sure your not in that water with open cuts/abrasions...Lepto is bad there.
Lane's eye at the moment appears to be tightening up & becoming more defined. That normally indicates it's strenthening. Your right, the models cant agree where he's going unlike the models for Hector. Stay safe:yes:

Forget the murky part. It stinks but nothing you can do. Go very slow and relax. Problem is not knowing where you have been or where you are going. Won't be easy.

Ohh I don't ever wear flippers so it is pretty easy to follow me!

If you have a virgin little area like that I don't think I would go anywhere else until I was sure I covered the whole thing. Your adventure awaits!

Yes the plan is to head back there this weekend and look for the original ring we were asked to find. Problem is a hurricane is coming this weekend and will be dropping massive amounts of rain. Lets hope for better weather.

you asked "What would SCUBA do?" Well he would just go down there and find it.:laughing:

Yes he would, and without fins. Will help stop kicking up so much sediment. visability is about zero

Pretty soon, we'll all be bored with Scuba post adventures :laughing:

thanks Tom! But I always find something in the story to keep me from getting bored.

Wow that sounds challenging but rewarding for sure! Keep us updated. Awesome on the Merc, silver ring and watches too!

Maunawili?
If so I've dove it. With the recent rains make sure your not in that water with open cuts/abrasions...Lepto is bad there.
Lane's eye at the moment appears to be tightening up & becoming more defined. That normally indicates it's strenthening. Your right, the models cant agree where he's going unlike the models for Hector. Stay safe:yes:

Thanks Aquaman, yea I agree with the Lepto diagnosis. Did research on it at UH a few years back. It actually lives in the mud at the bottom of streams. Might have to let this weekend go with the hurricane rolling thru.

Wow, I hope you find that ring and I look forward to seeing what else you pull out of there. This will be interesting. Good luck.

Thanks Salt!

Forget the murky part. It stinks but nothing you can do. Go very slow and relax. Problem is not knowing where you have been or where you are going. Won't be easy.

Ohh I don't ever wear flippers so it is pretty easy to follow me!

Thanks Scuba! Will try that next time out. Good advice

Back
Top Bottom