Went to my sister's old farmhouse in upstate NY...

NCtoad

Forum Supporter
The kids and I went on a road trip to Dutchess Co. New York near Millerton where my sister owns some property with an old farmhouse on it and couple of old barns. Not sure when the original part of the old farmhouse was built, but probably early to mid 1800's. The barns are about 100 years old. I tried and tried to find silver, but only found two buffalo nickels, a very toasted V nickel, a 1947 Jefferson, and 11 wheat pennies ranging in age from 1911 to 1956. Can't even get a date off the two buffaloes. I also found a few old buttons and if anyone can give me more info on any of them I would appreciate it, as I know nothing about buttons. The one button with the little dots around the perimeter of the backside says "double gilt". I don't know what the piece is that says "lift the dot" on it. As far as clad, I got over $7 worth, but left it with my sister. All in all had a lot of fun even though the there was a literal blanket of nails and other iron.

Attachments

• IMG_1974.jpg
    IMG_1974.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_1975.jpg
    IMG_1975.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_1976.jpg
    IMG_1976.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_1977.jpg
    IMG_1977.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_1978.jpg
    IMG_1978.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 278
Nice finds. It seems the harder you look for silver, the more elusive it is. It kills me when I'm in an area finding wheat after wheat and not turning up silver.
Keep digging, it's down there in the next hole.....:grin:

Still a cool hunt, despite the lack of silver. Be happy you got nickels; those dang things are by far my rarest coin to find. I have found zero old nickels.

$7 in clad is pretty significant for that type of property. I don't even get that much at most ball fields. Was it scattered all over or concentrated in a general area?

Back
Top Bottom