Headphones for large head?

johnstac

I've always been challenged with finding headphones that fit my large head. In addition, most of the metal detecting headphones I have tried hurt my ears something awful. Not sure if they are supposed to completely cover them but I haven't found a pair yet that do. The last ones I bought were Grey Ghost and ended up selling them on Ebay because they hurt so much.

I've been kind of looking at the Sun Ray Pro online because they look like they have large cups. Can anyone lmk how they feel? I wouldn't mind buying them but it's a pain to ship stuff back as well when they don't fit. Lately I've been going with ear buds but I know I'm going to lose some sounds with them.

Any other suggestions?

Minelab / Koss UR-30's have a Large Earcup - no volume control, though.

You could also check out some of the Computer Gaming Headphones at a place like Fry's or Best Buy. Try for size before you buy! Many have an inline Volume control, Yes, there will be a Mic boom (just swing it up & out of the way) and an extra mic connector (3.5mm) a piece of tape to keep the extra connector out of the way and an adapter to 1/4" will complete the setup,

Corsair's Void and HS-30 lines both have large comfortable Earcups but may not be rugged enough for outdoors.- My wife says it looks like I am flying a Plane...:signals:

Any with large earcups could be a little warm in this heat, though
Water / weather resistance is a different discussion.

I hope my essay helps.

Check out "Black Widows" head phones. Very Large ear cups and great sound capture and best of all volume control for the hard of hearing. I like mine!!

I have the opposite issue in that apparently I have a small head, or my ears are just too high up on it! The Whites Ultralight large headphones are an on ear type instead of over the ear. Adjusted as small as they go the center of the cups hit me at the lobes...These aren't top notch phones, but they sound good for on ears and seem fairly well made. I wouldn't know about comfort since I couldn't use them without putting some pipe insulation or something around the band so they would fit, but all the reviews I read said they were comfortable. They do have an inline volume. I could let mine go cheap...Once they return from their little ride to Oregon with the MX Sport that is.

I have a relatively small head and what I noticed when I first started wearing headphones is that until you get used to wearing them they can hurt for a while. Most headphones are adjustable and you would have to have one super LARGE almost inhuman head for them to not fit. I could be wrong , but my suggestion is that if they do hurt you may be experiencing just the break in stage where you have to get used to wearing them , they can hurt for a while and make you think they are too small. Just something to think about , for what its worth.

There are probably more comfortable ones out there but odds are you may still find them uncomfortable at first. That's a very common problem when people first start wearing them.

Whites ultralites are a quality on the ear headphone. Wish they didnt fit me loose. I imagine they'd be perfect for your head.

I gotta great big fat head! In fact, in Little League, the only thing that would fit me for a batting helmet was a 5 gal pail! Big fat head here! :laughing: Yes, those headphones really smash and hurt the ears on a big fat head like mine...So..

...I wear an underarmour 'beanie' type skull cap, or any old type stocking hat...all year round when detecting...it provides a great deal of relief over my ears and under the phones...A guy can get it wet and keep the old noggin cool in the Summer...or keep it dry and keep warm in the winter...also, I leave the glasses in the car, on account of the bows really hurt under the phones no matter what...this is an audio based Sport..I can hunt just fine blind, but I gotta hear...

Mud

Back
Top Bottom