1944 Wheat Penny Die Error

Graysondigger

Let me know what you think. Any idea on the value?
Thanks!

Attachments

• 1944 error.jpg
    1944 error.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 3,998
Looks like it was struck through a bit of cloth, maybe the ones they wipe down the dies with.

Check ebay for lamination error. Since your "Y" is in the part that was peeled before it was stamped, you should get a small premium for that.

I will bet that a BUNCH were struck this way but culled and destroyed. This one slipped through...????

Nope....this a unique coin. The error is like a hole or a thin spot in a particular area in the sheet that was used to punch out the planchants to later become pennies.

Try to imagine a sheet of paper with a hole or single mark on it. The rounds "slugs" or planchants are then punched out. All will be close to the same unless there is a defect in the sheet somewhere, like this. You can have more from the same batch but they will all be different.

One of a kind. Doesn't mean big money but somewhere between $10 and $20.

Nope....this a unique coin. The error is like a hole or a thin spot in a particular area in the sheet that was used to punch out the planchants to later become pennies.

Try to imagine a sheet of paper with a hole or single mark on it. The rounds "slugs" or planchants are then punched out. All will be close to the same unless there is a defect in the sheet somewhere, like this. You can have more from the same batch but they will all be different.

One of a kind. Doesn't mean big money but somewhere between $10 and $20.

You are probally correct...BUT... I'm checking all my 44P wheaties now!!!!!:D

Here's a same type error but most of the "peel" is gone. You can see the cracked edges still in places. A thin layer just peels off.

Found earlier this year CRHing.

You don't see many on newer pennies...1983 to now. But this is a common error on the rest of coins even today.

Quality controls are better today so you don't see this error as much now as in the past.

This is a pre-mint issue.

Back
Top Bottom