Found jewelry stash in woods

coalminer

I was out hunting for a few hours at an old mill site and while heading back to the vehicle I decided to check out the top of a low bank next to the path. Started scanning at the base of a large tree and the detector started pinging with a frenzy. I brushed back the leaves and came across a pile of jewelry that someone had dumped there. As you can see, the stash consists of three watches, bracelets, earrings, and cuff links.

Pretty awesome, eh? Unfortunately, I think the jewelry is low quality - mostly brass, brass-plated steel, and perhaps some gold plating. I plan on taking some of the nicer pieces to a jeweler to confirm but I'm not getting my hopes up. I'm wondering if a thief went through his haul, picked out the best stuff and then dumped the rest in the woods. I can't think of any other scenario that makes sense.

Regardless of the value of the jewelry, this was an interesting way to end the hunt. And it was a nice Fall day to be out and about...

Attachments

• resIMAG1347.jpg
    resIMAG1347.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 144
  • resIMAG1348.jpg
    resIMAG1348.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 134
  • resIMAG1350.jpg
    resIMAG1350.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 131
  • resIMAG1353.jpg
    resIMAG1353.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 136
WOW... talk about a score... CONGRATULATIONS!! I agree with your theory, it's the only thing that makes any sense :yes:.

That's a bit unusual. I wonder if the police would be interested in those items.

The public school key together with the playboy logo pendant are a bit creepy. :no:

I took some of the jewelry to a jeweler and he confirmed that it was low end stuff. There were two small gold leafy pieces that had a little value but the rest was pretty much worthless. I thought the Playboy pendant was cool though... I still may contact the police to see if anyone filed a report that matches these items - perhaps they have sentimental value to someone.

On a brighter note, I got permission to hunt a church that's over 200 years old. Apparently it's been hunted before so I'll need to do a little outside-the-box strategizing to ferret out the goods. Stay tuned for updates...

I still may contact the police to see if anyone filed a report that matches these items

If you report it now they may rip on you a little bit. They likely would have liked to see things exactly as they were when you found them. In any case an interesting find. I've found some coin spills before but never a jewelry spill.

Back
Top Bottom