historicaerials.com

jmr7

Someone recommended I use this site. However, I'm not sure exactly how it works. Do you have to pay or subscribe?

And how do you utilize this site to help with metal detecting? Are there any other sites out there that are free that a beginner can use?

Thanks.

Someone recommended I use this site. However, I'm not sure exactly how it works. Do you have to pay or subscribe?

And how do you utilize this site to help with metal detecting? Are there any other sites out there that are free that a beginner can use?

Thanks.

The site is free to use.

How is it helpful in our hobby? Say you see a vacant lot (or farm field), and you wonder if there used to be a house there at some point. Well, that site is one resource you can use to find out. I find that in many areas around me the only aerials available are from 2005, but in there are topographic maps back into the 1950s for every area. If there's a vacant lot and you already knew there was a house there, just seeing the aerial and exactly where the house was is very helpful. You can see where the garage was, where the front and back doors were, etc. That's good stuff to know when you are detecting a home site.

Some areas near me have 1950s aerials. I know my area pretty well. I look at the old 50s overhead and say "hey, there's a school now where that farm house was". I found a home site this way between a newer school and its basketball court/playground. They probably added a lot of dirt, so it wasn't a major honey hole or anything, but I did find some things that shouldn't have been there at a 10 year old school, and a couple older coins as well.

Not sure where you are located, but you could see if there are maps of your area on HistoricMapWorks.com! That's what I love to use, especially the overlay option! My state also has done ariel surveys!!! Good luck!

Topo maps go back to the 1800's for many spots I've looked up in CT

as mentioned, the site can be much more helpful to some depending on what kind/how old the photos are for your area. For some it is jus "topos" but as stated, can be helpful

Cost of using historicaerials

One of the responses said this web site was free. But it looks like you have to pay. How do you use the site and not pay?

Maybe I just don't understand how the site works.

Can someone just give me an example of how I would use this site? That might help me out. Thanks.

type in your home address and it will pull up an aerial, for free. The site is free. Dunno why you're having issues with it.

Back
Top Bottom