• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Buying my first detector

FolsomJohn

I'm new to the hobby and trying to figure out which detector to buy. I think I have narrowed it down between the Garret Ace 200 and 300. Being a newbie are the extra features of the 300 going to be worth the extra money or should I stick with the cheaper model and move up later after gaining skills?

I started with the ace250 its very good.
Moved up to Atpro ..way better.
Now I got one of the best . ..an Equinox!

Do you wish you had started with the better machine or are you happy with the progression?

I'm new to the hobby and trying to figure out which detector to buy. I think I have narrowed it down between the Garret Ace 200 and 300. Being a newbie are the extra features of the 300 going to be worth the extra money or should I stick with the cheaper model and move up later after gaining skills?

1. Look at the top right corner of your screen.
  2. Click on the link that says "List all sponsors"
  3. Call each one and ask them.
Our sponsors are a reputable bunch of vendors that offer new and pre-owned equipment. They give discounts to forum members too.

I always try and buy the best detector that I can afford for the area that I am going to be detecting in. Just starting out I would recommend getting one that will let you grow into it but not be to overly complicated to learn. Some of the brands that have multiple configuration menus, I would put in this category.

After you have a couple models in mind, go on youtube and look at the various review of these models and the setup. You may find models that you just don't feel you would be comfortable with for whatever reason so they can come off the list.

If you have a local dealer or someone in your area, ask to see their detectors and see how it feels in your hands.

Don't be afraid of asking questions on here.

Ray

I am newbie, wanted something cheap that would do Ocean beaches and also land. Bought the DetectorPro PiratePro for $300 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079KPCZ4N/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would look around first, I'm not up to speed on the subject, was just trying to save money and that one was salt waterproof and easy to operate.

I just have to secure the phones with a loose lanyard around the neck so phones cannot fall in water (because the phones hold the electronics and aren't waterproof).

I was in your shoes this time last year. Kept looking at the 300 and 250. Mentioned them to a acquaintance of mine that detects and he recommended the AT Pro.

I did some research and searched through the forum and took his recommendation. The AT Pro is not an "entry" level machine, but it is very user friendly. I feel most would say it is a mid level detector. Look through the forum and you will see some great finds with the ATP.

I was fortunate at the time to have the funding to go with the ATP. I knew I would enjoy the hobby so I opted for a more advance machine so I wouldn't have to upgrade. In hind sight I'm glad I did. Admittedly, I learn a little more every time use it. I have found quite a bit of clad, a few relics and a few silver coins. In my opinion I made the right choice. I recommend getting the most machine you can and don't get frustrated. Learning is a lot of the fun. Good luck with whatever you choose....:yes:

When I was learning to play an acoustic steel string guitar I bought a Martin and never looked back.
Eventually I learned how to play it and I was very happy that I chose to buy a higher end instrument.
If, on the hand, you may not stick with detecting a lower priced detector may be a good choice.
Best of luck!

I started with a craigslist trade for a old Bounty Hunter Prospector. Hunted with that bad boy for a year maybe, couple silver coins and a gold ring even! Moved onto a Tesoro Compadre and have used 2 of them (one I made waterproof) for a few more years. Like them a lot. My next will be multifrequency for the salt water.

Maybe I’ll see you around in Folsom, I work there. If you want to try a Compadre on one of my lunch hours let me know.

My recommendation is to get the best detector that you can afford if you think you are serious about the hobby. There are a lot of good mid priced detectors out there that will suit you well without having to upgrade for a while. I personally like Whites detectors but that is just personal preference and you will find out that everyone has their favorite brand. I took a hiatus from detecting for a couple of years and didn't have a lot of money to spend on a detector to get back into the hobby. I bought a Whites Treasure Pro because I had owned them in the past and knew how well they performed. I recently found a large gold ring that I sold so I bought a Whites MX Sport because I needed a waterproof detector. You really should take a look at the Treasure Pro. It has a lot of great features for a detector under $400.

I always tell other who are thinking about getting into the hobby not to spend a lot just starting out just in case they end up not liking it. That way your not in the hole to far and can always use it as a backup or give it away like I did when I got back into the hobby after many years away from it. I see no reason for someone to buy a high dollar unit that has a steep learning curve to it and ends up getting frustrated because of it. A simple turn on and go unit is all you need and there are lot of good models out there.

Back
Top Bottom