i need help

rustynuts

hi i'm new to this and I need someone to go on a hunt with me my friend has a 950 ac farm 2 old house that I can hunt all I want but they are growed up with trees this farm has been in his family from 1880 till now and never hunted.the bad is i'm getting two many hits I will dig and not find anything but it will still say something is there.alot of the stuff is 8 to 10 " deep I just got a gti 2500 is my coil to big with all the trash ?help.:(

hi i'm new to this and I need someone to go on a hunt with me my friend has a 950 ac farm 2 old house that I can hunt all I want but they are growed up with trees this farm has been in his family from 1880 till now and never hunted.the bad is i'm getting two many hits I will dig and not find anything but it will still say something is there.alot of the stuff is 8 to 10 " deep I just got a gti 2500 is my coil to big with all the trash ?help.:(

Hi Rusty. I used a 2500 for years. What mode are you hunting in: coins, jewelry, all metal, etc? How many hours experience do you have on the machine?

2 hours is very little experience. You need to learn that machine a little better. Is this the first place you have ever detected? You may just be in an area that is a little too trashy for a beginner.

Let me ask this question. How many coins have you found in total with the 2500? Is this your first machine? Just trying to gauge how much of a newbie you are. We all have to start somewhere. It took me about 50 hours before I felt confident with the machine.

have you air tested your detector with sample coins so that you know what they are supposed to sound like. Make sure you have bell tone setting on. That helps coins "ping" a little sweeter.

Also, make sure your pinpointing is spot on. You need to practice this. Focus on only size B, repeatable targets for now.

I think you need to get to a less trashy area of the farm to start. If you are a complete newbie, I would advise you to hit a school or playground and find a hundred coins or so before hitting the farm.

So post back what your experience is (in detail) and the group here will see if we can get you pulling up the coins :)

hi no I had a mine-lab X-terra and I have a whites coinmaster new.i found a clad nickel 1973 in my yard.i think it's all deep my readings are 8-10" and the size of a dollar I don't have a pin pointer yet .it's the roots to.the good thing my friend said I can hunt all I want till deer hunting time.these house 's are a mile back in the woods the real old one is from the 1890's and the other one is from the 1930's.

A lot of hits but you aren't finding the target? Are you using a pin pointer. If not, wave hand full of dirt under you coil until you find the target. My guess is that they are there, you just aren't finding them. It can be difficult, being small or soil colored, or both.

thanks grumpy i'll try that hell I don't have enough arms with all the diggers pointers. bags .metal detectors.I think i will start carrying a shopping cart with me in tow like a bag lady:laughing:

Well heck fire, I think we all just need to load up the bus and go help our friend out! Sounds like you're overwhelmed with such an awesome and large area to dig. First thing I thought about is snakes from what you described. Agree you need a little more time with your MD to know how to adjust settings. Thing about old farms and homesteads, you will find tons of iron, rusty nail, barbed wire. People didn't have much money and held on tight to what they had. unlike kids today, too lazy to pick up a penny! A friend recently hunted an old working farm and got mega pings over a 10 ft radius. Picked a spot and just started digging. Turned out to be some type of leather harness with brass rings to an old buggy that was spread out under ground. Keep us posted!

I'd love to help ya out' just to far away. Good luck, bet ya find lots of great stuff, once you get going.

rusty,
im not too far away in Greer, SC. Would love to talk about hunting those spots with you sometime. send me a pm with contact info and we can do something. i am a new member here but long time forum prowler. I have a friend I detect with here so maybe he could join us.
-Sarge

I don't have a pinpointer, but I can still find all the .22 lead bullets in a farm field! :lol: Sometimes I'll lose them, and it'll just be because I dropped it. Pick up that handful of dirt and wave it over the coil, if its in there split the dirt in half and repeat. Keep it up until you find the target.

:grin:

Raise your coil up off the ground a little bit. Does the depth reading change? I am wondering if you have large pieces of iron that is pretty deep?

Ray

Raise your coil up off the ground a little bit. Does the depth reading change? I am wondering if you have large pieces of iron that is pretty deep?

Ray

I agree... old farms have tons of iron pieces in the ground. They probably mask some decent targets, but unless you want to dig everything you have to really start learning the sounds from the detector. I know I still am.
I hope you find a hunting buddy.

Back
Top Bottom