• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Just realized how out of shape I am.

Rattlehead

Forum Supporter
So I decided to go re-hunt one of my older sites that I used to detect a couple of decades ago. The place is a wooded area on the side of a hill.. When I was in my 20s I'd spend hours detecting there with a big heavy White's 5900 Di Pro and not even get winded. Today after hunting for a whopping 45 minutes I was out of breath with every bone in my body aching. Had to call it quits. The sad part is the hill isn't even all that steep and I was swinging the 2 lb Deus. :laughing:

Anyway, no real point to this thread other than to tell you younger guys to enjoy it while you can. Detecting ain't always easy when you're old and fat. :lol:

So I decided to go re-hunt one of my older sites that I used to detect a couple of decades ago. The place is a wooded area on the side of a hill.. When I was in my 20s I'd spend hours detecting there with a big heavy White's 5900 Di Pro and not even get winded. Today after hunting for a whopping 45 minutes I was out of breath with every bone in my body aching. Had to call it quits. The sad part is the hill isn't even all that steep and I was swinging the 2 lb Deus. :laughing:

Anyway, no real point to this thread other than to tell you younger guys to enjoy it while you can. Detecting ain't easy when you're old and fat. [emoji38]
Left you a pm

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hey, welcome to the "getting older club" :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Just a few years ago I could do yard work pretty much non-stop for 4 to 6 hours to where my wife would have to tell me "stop, you did enough for today", now about an hour or two is plenty.

My strength went down after I had hernia surgery a few years ago and had to take it easy for many months to fully recuperate and my muscles got out of tone and my stamina lessened, I need to try to gradually build myself back up again, but it's not as easy to do as you get older.

My wife tells me "you're not a spring chicken anymore" :lol:

I tell her I need to ask the doctor if they have any "spring chicken" pills :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I remember the old commericals for Geritol, did that stuff really help ?

I'm 64, do some of you other older folk have any success taking vitamins for extra energy ? ......or is it just a matter of getting into a regular exercise routine ?

Left you a pm

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sent you one back. :cheers:

Hey, welcome to the "getting older club" :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Just a few years ago I could do yard work pretty much non-stop for 4 to 6 hours to where my wife would have to tell me "stop, you did enough for today", now about an hour or two is plenty.

My strength went down after I had hernia surgery a few years ago and had to take it easy for many months to fully recuperate and my muscles got out of tone and my stamina lessened, I need to try to gradually build myself back up again, but it's not as easy to do as you get older.

My wife tells me "you're not a spring chicken anymore" :lol:

I tell her I need to ask the doctor if they have any "spring chicken" pills :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I remember the old commericals for Geritol, did that stuff really help ?

I'm 64, do some of you other older folk have any success taking vitamins for extra energy ? ......or is it just a matter of getting into a regular exercise routine ?

For me I think its just lack of exercise. When I was in my 20s my job required a lot of moving around and helped keep me in shape. Now I sit behind a desk all day. The only exercise I get nowadays is metal detecting.

PS: Let me know if you find any of those spring chicken pills. :laughing:

I am 61 and after my ileostomy and hernia surgeries this past summer I'm back out there climbing the Indiana dunes, MDing parks and totlots, digging for old bottles in the woods just as I've done since I was 15, weighing only slightly more than I did then. I usually take a couple of pain pills and some Vivarin before I go out, and it works for me. Keeping your weight down is the key. And yes I take a multivitamin every day.

I detected a football field Tuesday and was digging every signal for 4 hours. The next day my legs were so sore I could barley walk or touch my legs. They still hurt but I went detecting again lol. I did find that gold ring though lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent you one back. :cheers:

For me I think its just lack of exercise. When I was in my 20s my job required a lot of moving around and helped keep me in shape. Now I sit behind a desk all day. The only exercise I get nowadays is metal detecting.

PS: Let me know if you find any of those spring chicken pills. :laughing:

:lol: I just might ask the doctor about "spring chicken" pills just to see what they say :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I am 61 and after my ileostomy and hernia surgeries this past summer I'm back out there climbing the Indiana dunes, MDing parks and totlots, digging for old bottles in the woods just as I've done since I was 15, weighing only slightly more than I did then. I usually take a couple of pain pills and some Vivarin before I go out, and it works for me. Keeping your weight down is the key. And yes I take a multivitamin every day.

I'm not way overweight, but I could stand to lose at least about 20 lbs, and in the past the doctor did say regular exercise is key to more energy.

I eat enough vegetables so I thought maybe I was getting enough vitamins that way, but I might consider a multivitamin just to be sure.

Rattlehead, I feel your pain brother, after three back surguries, and nerve damage swinging my detector can become rather painful after a short time, but I just tell myself I am lucky to be able to swing and dig at all, instead of watching from the sidelines. But it sure is hard some days to remain positive. Just keep after it, one hole at a time.

I ' m a member of the club for sure . We spent our very hot summer , on a seadoo and enjoying the sun . All that sun and bouncing around was fun , I could hardly walk after a couple hours of riding , but what the hell you only live once . Now I'm visiting the skin Doctor getting some spots taken care of and having some trouble walking . Since it is not consistent , I don't think it's the hip as the pain is more in the butt and down the leg . IMO It is a problem with the Piriformis muscle . It has gotten worse this winter I'm guessing because of sitting around too much , which can be one of the causes. Stretching seems to help but then gets bad again. I'm hoping that all the MD exercise this spring does the trick . We joke about getting old , but then find it hard to accept. Like that's not going to get me , every year you think ok not so bad , I still got it !
HH

According to my Birth certificate I just finished my 76th trip around the sun in January.

I know that I am out of shape and I also need to lose some weight. Seems my body and my fat cells have become friends and it has been very difficult to get rid of them.

I try to get out twice a week as a minimum. At the beach six hours is about as much as I want to do Dirt fishing time depends on the quantity of targets I dig. After 100 or so times of kneeling down digging a target and standing up I am ready to call it a day.

Getting old stinks but it beats the heck out of the alternative.

Lol, old guys complaining about being old. :laughing:

Next they'll be saying, "Hey, get off my grass!" :oldguy:

:sneaking:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Instead of thinking of myself as old, I prefer "just not as young" :lol:

old_detectorist.gif

(I look a lot younger than that :yes:)

(in fact, I've met people about 10 years younger than me who I at first thought might have been older than me)

My fitbit says I have walked the length of Japan.

After a horrible shoulder and arm break, I got really bad out of shape. The weight is going back down now and I am able to use both arms lol. The heat is coming here and I am going to do all I can before it gets here. I tried going back to work and I suffer from horrible spasms all through my body when I finally set down. Im only 53, how do you older guys do it.

FIFY! :laughing:

I'm just giving ya'll a hard time. It won't be too much longer until my kids are having kids. Time goes by so fast!

Hey, the "just not as stupid" is a valid point !

I wish I knew what I know now back when I was in my 20's, I could have avoided making some stupid mistakes in my younger days :lol:

Anyway, no real point to this thread other than to tell you younger guys to enjoy it while you can. Detecting ain't always easy when you're old and fat. :lol:

haha, i'm right there with you, man. Gym membership: Incoming.

After a horrible shoulder and arm break, I got really bad out of shape. The weight is going back down now and I am able to use both arms lol. The heat is coming here and I am going to do all I can before it gets here. I tried going back to work and I suffer from horrible spasms all through my body when I finally set down. Im only 53, how do you older guys do it.

Definitely get yourself in good shape now while you're still in your 50's and it will be easier to maintain it when you get older.

I'm 64 now, but back right before I turned 50 I used to be about 360 lbs, thing is, I didn't feel like I was overeating, so I started reading the calorie/fat labels on food packages when at the grocery store and saw that I was eating high calorie/high fat foods. So when I turned 50 I started eating lower calorie/lower fat foods, (helping me have a big reduction in daily calories eaten) baked or broiled food instead of frying, cut way back on sugar, and gradually built up to 2 miles of a fast walk on the treadmill 3 times a day for a total of 6 miles a day. Results: I went from 360 to 180 in 7 months without pills or surgery, just doing the above. Now a few years later I started splurging too often and I gradually gained some of that back, and need to lose some weight again, but nothing like the weight I had to lose back then. I've been trying to get back to regular exercise again with an elliptical machine and lifting weights. The months I had to take to recuperate from hernia surgery a few years ago got me out of my routine that kept me in better shape.

EDITED to add:

"always check with your doctor before starting any strenuous exercise program or drastic weight loss diet to be sure you don't overdo anything as far as your specific health condition"

Last edited:
I do believe you are right Gary.

After Bariatric surgery I got back under 200 pounds. But now have about 20 pounds to go. I use my fitbit to monitor my heart rate and steps. Doc suggest a 1700 calorie 75 carbs a day diet. No sugar.

Back
Top Bottom