How many members here are local club members?

CanSlawCartoons

I'm about to head to my monthly meeting of one of my local detecting clubs.
I'm curious, how many of you guys and gals are members of a local detecting club?
We have several here in the DFW area and I belong to 2 of them but mostly active in one.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Don't belong to any clubs. Nearest one is 50 miles away. I belong to a coin club and there are about a half dozen members of the club who also detect. All these guys ever do is brag about their finds…..:run1: so I wouldn't want to join a detecting club if most or many of the others were the same way.

Only the biggest cities have clubs these days. The era of clubs started waining in the mid to late 1990s. D/t the internet. Because nowadays, people get their socializing (show & tell, meeting up, researching/comparing tech, etc...) all from the comfort of their lazy chair . No one gets off their duff and drives to monthly meetings these days.

So only the biggest cities have clubs anymore. And even then-so, with declining memberships.

Clubs: R.I.P.

I was for a year...nice group of people but I always kinda felt like an outsider so I let it go.

But, if you think about it, you (and all those who .... likewise ... eschew clubs ) are actually "in a club". So to speak. The moment you, and others who eschew clubs , get on the internet, and read/chime in on forums, they are "in a club".

The md'ing forums of today, are like yesteryear clubs. You can see what others are finding. You can show & tell your own finds. You can see what the pro's and con's of machines are, that people are using. You can see who else detects in your area, etc....

The only difference is, that it's all done from a computer these days. So I kind of have to chuckle when someone rips clubs, yet .... is very-much-the contributor of md'ing forum chit-chats :)

But, if you think about it, you (and all those who .... likewise ... eschew clubs ) are actually "in a club". So to speak. The moment you, and others who eschew clubs , get on the internet, and read/chime in on forums, they are "in a club".

The md'ing forums of today, are like yesteryear clubs. You can see what others are finding. You can show & tell your own finds. You can see what the pro's and con's of machines are, that people are using. You can see who else detects in your area, etc....

The only difference is, that it's all done from a computer these days. So I kind of have to chuckle when someone rips clubs, yet .... is very-much-the contributor of md'ing forum chit-chats :)
I agree with the online "club" aspect and the sharing of info is like no other time in history.
Yeah you can learn from some of the older hunters in the local club, but you can learn much more online in groups and on boards. Maybe the info isn't as local-focused on the web but the info is much wider than at your local club.
And maybe I'm just lucky with our club, but I enjoy our finds of the month contest. It's fun because everyone supports each other so it doesn't turn into a brag fest. Which I could see how easily it could turn into that.

It's also been fun because my now great friend and hunting partner came from being a member of our local club. We have a group of about 6 of us members now that live close and hunt together regularly. It's nice to be able to text a buddy from the club and say "Want to hunt tomorrow?"

However, when it comes to really learning about detectors, gear and seeing amazing finds, nothing beats the online forums.

As far as the seeded club hunts, they are fun but really my cup of tea. About the only seeded hunt I enjoy is the annual Garrett memorial hunt.

I've been a member and club librarian of MTHA (Massachusetts Treasure Hunting Association) for more than 30 years. I am also the membership secretary. We meet in Newton Highlands, a few miles west of Boston. Started in 1981, we are still going strong. Including family memberships, we have around 90 members now, from all over eastern Mass, Cape Cod, and southern New Hampshire. We even have a couple members from central and western Mass.

Several FMDF members from this forum have come to our annual [seeded] Open Hunt in October. Will be announcing details soon for the October 2019 hunt.

Jim

There's a club probably about 25 miles away, but being a caregiver for my wife's elderly mom who has dementia limits my travel range much of the time since I'm retired and my wife still wants to work for now, but the FMDF here is the non-local "club" for many of us :lol:

I'm a member and attend most months. We have a contest for the "best find" in several categories. I usually come away with a few merc dimes as awards. Nice group of people.

I don't belong to a club. There are clubs by me but I don't know anything about them that would tell me I want to join. I am a Ham radio search and rescue member and that takes time from me.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

I don't belong to a club. There are clubs by me but I don't know anything about them that would tell me I want to join. I am a Ham radio search and rescue member and that takes time from me.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
The great thing about clubs is you can visit with no obligation and see what it's like. I hear you about little time to spare. For us, we meet once a month for a couple of hours so its not too bad.

The only even remotely close to me is a 90 minute drive away. The only advantage I see over joining a real club and going to the forums is at a real one you can drink beer and have an excuse for the big fish (or Walker) stories that got away. Not as fun online, Would prefer to get called out as a liar in a much smaller forum when talking about that 5 pound 1648 gold coin I found in a totter than pubicly ripped on the internet since some people may actually take me as being serious unless I add a laughing emoji...

I'm a member of an excellent local club. I have learned a lot from the the members and many of us hunt together at least three times a month. Great opportunities for coin and jewelry hunting, prospecting, historic preservation site searches, and law enforcement assistance. I am very fortunate to have this club close by.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom