off topic - can put your cell phone on gov do not call list

It was about 40 years ago,one of my first jobs at 13 or 14 years old, I worked for a phone scam place writing down every single non long distance phone number in Indianapolis on a slip of paper. They would call you up pretending to be a radio game show."Congratulations, You have been selected as a contestant on the Strike It Rich Program" You could win the chance to by a gift certificate book. The book wasn't bad a couple of free oil changes and haircuts and a few free meals would more than cover the 25 bucks "handling fee"you had to pay. All you had to do was answer one of three questions; "What president was a PT boat captain" or "Who played the male lead in Gone With The Wind". I don't remember the third question but it was something similar that would be fairly easy for most at the time. If they got it wrong we would wait a few days and call back. Money was made by selling the gift books, but the big money was in the phone numbers. The numbers would be sorted between business and residential and how receptive they were to phone sales calls. If you listened to the pitch but didn't buy they would sell your number, if you bought it they would get top dollar for your name and number.
They traveled the country doing this, I learned a lot from those grifters, mainly don't trust anyone trying to sell you anything.

Back
Top Bottom