Any Exterra 705 users left out there? How bout that Prospecting mode?

tinsmith

Elite Member
Hey, 705ers, anybody ever use Prospecting mode for coin hunting? I've never hunted with the mode. When I switch to it I don't do very good and I go right back to coin and treasure modes no disc.

I used a 705 in prospecting mode for nugget hunting for awhile. It works very well for that purpose away from populated areas..........very small targets surface to 8” deep without dealing with a carpet of trash. Prospecting mode is as close to true all metal mode as you get on the 705. Very deep on big stuff. Definitely dig it all mode. I might consider it for relics in a more remote area.. Coin and jewelry hunting in a aluminum foil, can slaw strewn city park..........Ouch!!!

Last edited:
I use it when circumstances call for it. The very first item I dug using it was a 14" deep buffy.

The way to incorporate it for uses other than prospecting is to crank the IM (Iron Mask) all the way up. Even with IM maxed out it will not disc out any non-ferrous targets. Then, once you've located a target, switch to C/T mode to see if you can get an ID that may tell you what it is, so you can at that point decide whether to pursue it further or just move on.

What Longhair said. Even though I'd really like to try the Nox 800, the Xterra 705 is just so fun to use that I'm having a hard time making the leap.

It definitely takes some getting used to, but being a "no-motion" mode it makes things like tracing target size really easy, similar but not same as Pinpoint Sizing.

Another couple things to keep in mind. It's looking deeper than C/T mode, so you do have to slow down and give it a chance to get a look at all you're passing the coil over. Being a no-motion mode you can go as slow as you want.
And listen for the null. If you run with the IM turned up it will null over ferrous objects. This is another reason to take advantage of it's ability to go dead slow and trace the null to make sure that there's nothing peeking out along an edge.

We all have found sites that typically we can't hit targets very deep.....where there's just something about the ground composition that limits the machine's capability. Those are prime locations for Prospector Mode, so give it a whirl and just maybe you'll get enough deeper than anyone has before and turn up some really good finds. It happens....trust me.:cool3:

I use AM, 4 tones with my 705 Gold while coin and jewelry hunting. Also pin point by wiggling the toe of the coil. Only recently started using the 705 Gold but am finding it really sounds off on coins. No jewelry yet but confident it'll find some. Plan on hunting gold in Colorado this summer and experimenting with the prospecting mode...

I’m seldom in a clean enough area to use it for hunting. I do use it for pinpointing and trying to determine fe vs non fe iffy signals. I almost always hunt in what they have labeled “all metal” It’s actually zero disc and it makes it a lot faster machine.

Thanks all. Good tips. I'm going to give the mode a try in little or no trash area. Will crank that IM up to max. One thing I love about this detector is I've never tired of it as opposed to my begginers machine. Well, it's the only machine I own. VDI actually works well. Think I now see where I went wrong. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom