First gold find.

Rollie

I went out to an old farmstead that I knew. The house and buildings have long ago been bulldozed down, but the trees are still there. I worked the freshly tilled fields around the trees and found a lot of iron and some square nails. In among the trees I found a lot of old tin cans, but nothing worth the trip. So I decided to go over to a park that is a half mile from the old farmstead. Last year I found a lot of change on a hill there where the college kids go sledding in the winter. Ten minutes of swinging my detector and I got a tone through my headsets that I've not gotten before. Right smack dab in the middle of the trash settings. So I took out everything but "jewelry" and still got a good solid tone. I dug about six inches down, and low and behold I pulled a class ring out of the dirt. Class of 96, and it still had some thread wrapped around it to bring it down to girlfriend size. Anyway, I took it home, cleaned it up, got all the thread off, and there was a name engraved inside it. So my wife and I got on the internet and started searching. I'm pretty sure that we actually found the owner. Same name, same school. If it is him, he lives a hundred twenty miles away. I'm waiting for him to get back to me. I lost my class ring when I was in high school fifty years ago, so I would really like it if someone found it and got it back to me. Probably not going to happen, but it would be pretty cool for me to find someone else's class ring and then get it back to them. I'm pretty excited about this whole thing.
newattachment.php

Attachments

• Ring.jpg
    Ring.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 513
Great! Get us some pictures of the return...it makes for a good post...get the 'Loss' story too..thats always interesting and helpful...

Nice looking ring, is it 10k?
That is a good question. I don't know. On the inside of the ring it has "Jostens", which is the company that makes them, and then "AUR" behind that. Then there is the owner's name etched into it. There are no other markings. So maybe someone can let me know. I've yet to hear back from the owner. I tried to contact him through his facebook page. Maybe I'm going to have to figure out some other channel.

That is a good question. I don't know. On the inside of the ring it has "Jostens", which is the company that makes them, and then "AUR" behind that. Then there is the owner's name etched into it. There are no other markings. So maybe someone can let me know. I've yet to hear back from the owner. I tried to contact him through his facebook page. Maybe I'm going to have to figure out some other channel.

Unfortunately it is not gold. Rings are required to be marked in the USA and Jostens knows this. So it is an alloy of some kind. Still nice of you to return. They are expensive even if not valuable.

Unfortunately it is not gold. Rings are required to be marked in the USA and Jostens knows this. So it is an alloy of some kind. Still nice of you to return. They are expensive even if not valuable.
Thanks for the info. I guess I need to change the title of the thread to "First Gold, not yet." Interestingly, I have been trying to find the owner for over a week now and I finally contacted the school. The Principal did some digging for me. Not in the dirt, through the school records. It seems that the owner's sister is a teacher there at the school. Sadly, the brother is out of touch with his family and last they heard he was in another state. I am sending it to the sister and she is going to give it to her mother. Hopefully it will eventually make it back to the owner. That is quite a saga.

Back
Top Bottom