1776 Continental dollar bought at flea market for 56 cents

The person who sold the coin must have thought it was "play money". Being in France, very likely he was not familiar with early U.S. Coinage.

What a score for the buyer!

The person who sold the coin must have thought it was "play money". Being in France, very likely he was not familiar with early U.S. Coinage.

What a score for the buyer!

I don't think 99 percent of Americans would know the term "Continental Currency"

I'm wondering if the average European would think it's not old enough to be worth anything. I don't think they get excited about a coin that's only 250 years old.

I don't think 99 percent of Americans would know the term "Continental Currency"

I'm wondering if the average European would think it's not old enough to be worth anything. I don't think they get excited about a coin that's only 250 years old.

Yea, most Americans would not know what it is and Europeans may think it is a bi-centennial souvenir that is worth nothing. If it wasn't for metal detecting, this forum and researching finds I'd not know what it is.

You should see and hear what people I show them a 3 cent nickle to say when I tell them what it is. Total dumb founded since they think 'nickle' is 5 cents.

Yea, most Americans would not know what it is and Europeans may think it is a bi-centennial souvenir that is worth nothing. If it wasn't for metal detecting, this forum and researching finds I'd not know what it is.

You should see and hear what people I show them a 3 cent nickle to say when I tell them what it is. Total dumb founded since they think 'nickle' is 5 cents.

But IS there a 3 cent nickle? Or is it more accurately, a nickel 3 cent piece?

EDIT: just looked at the PCGS Coin grading APP, and they DO list it as a 3 Cent Nickel... Ignore my previous comment. :roll:

Last edited:
But IS there a 3 cent nickle? Or is it more accurately, a nickel 3 cent piece?

EDIT: just looked at the PCGS Coin grading APP, and they DO list it as a 3 Cent Nickel... Ignore my previous comment. :roll:

No problem. Even us that research can not know it all.

Naming of coins has the 'slang' like a Lincoln Penny or the correct name - Lincoln Cent. If talking it technical Coin terms then penny means a British coin denomination. All US coins after 1792 are Cent based on decimal system of 100 cents to 1 dollar.

Back
Top Bottom