Mysterious foreign coin

EncrustedYen

Elite Member
A few weeks ago I found 2 coins sandwiched. At the time I thought they were both old 1 sens.

Well after 2 weeks soaking they separated. The one sen which was visible was terribly corroded. Much of the coin just crumbled off. The coin pictured here however did much better.

When they were stuck together the reverse of this coin was visible. There are no visible features on the reverse .

It has a hole drilled in the top-perhaps used as a pendant.

Who is up to the challenge of iding this. On the right edge the letters Quee are visible so we can assume it's queen.
So now I'll check out some English coinage

Edit: Found a British East India 1 cent that seems to be a match!

29mm weight 8.4 grams

The coin it was stuck to was minted between 1873 and 1888. ( date was obliterated )

Attachments

• drilled coin.jpg
    drilled coin.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 234
  • british east india.jpg
    british east india.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 205
Can you distinguish any lettering on the coin?
If so, is it on the front or back of the coin?
It might help someone determine what it actually is.

Sorry I tried to make out some letters but no can do. No help on reverse either.

Edit : I worked it over with a toothbrush and soapy water. Saw the letters Quee on the right side.

It was strange how just a little more cleaning helped so much.

with an image of an english queen it could be from any member state of the english commonwealth. ie. austrailia, gibralter, canada, ...

Its not British though its Queen Victorian, therefore has to be between 1837 and 1901.

The date should be around 1850 from the hairstyle. Her coins either had her bare headed (when young) or with a full crown. In middle age and older she would be wearing a small but full crown balanced on the top of her head.

The tiara type "crown", lack of date and inscription suggests that its some small part of Empire ie not Australia or even a token. I would check Canada out but I would think there would be an inscription such as "Dei Gratia" as well as her name.

Nice find though.

perhaps it is some sort of souvenier medal. in the us there are all kinds of medals which commemorate past presidents, great battles, historic events, etc. i have a ronald regan presidential medal of bronze. it is just a commemorative token with his picture on the obverse and a us western mountain scean on the reverse with his famous quote from the bible about the "shining city on a hill" that he compared american democracy to.

does that help?:?:

Back
Top Bottom