• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

First hunt at the farm

Gonebeeping

Elite Member
Secured permission last week to MD this old farm house. Focused primarily on the front yard, the back of the house is so overgrown you can barely thrash through it. Had fun but didn't get my first silver like I hoped. Oldest coin I dug was a 1940 wheat cent, everything else was modern. Lots of spent ammo casings and shotgun shells, nails and junk iron(not pictured).The brass tag about blew my ears out. I think that one decorative item is a button maybe? I really thought I would find some goodies, makes me wonder if its been cherry picked already. I'm going go back Sat and try again, also maybe get a 5x8 coil this week.
20160125_171636_zpsvmnphsjw.jpg
Screen%20Shot%202016-01-22%20at%208.08.04%20PM_zpsodhkqoqs.jpg
20160125_121050_zpswnqcgrdn.jpg

Where there are wheats silver is not far off! Be encouraged by those wheats, keep hunting and be diligent. Gridding a site always pays off and ensures you get as much coverage as possible. I usually grid, complete the site, shift 90 degrees and regrid the whole place I have yet to do this and not turn up multiple new signals worth digging.

Keep working this spot; there are some goodies there somewhere.

Never get disappointed if you don't hit pirate treasure during the first hunt.

Sometimes many good targets are masked by old iron.

Keep working the site and keep us posted!

first thing I thought of is digging in the chair/couch cushions! lol
Keep at it! HH DD

Also the more crud you remove the cleaner and deeper the targets should get. Dig the iron, dig the wonk. One of the best items I ever got was an 18ct gold ring from WWI era and I only got it because I was trying to dig the trashy signals and clean the spot up to get the older deeper signals

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm going to go back Saturday and get rid of more of the old iron and keep at it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Nice man, that looks like a fun hunt! Look for where the clothesline would have been there might be old "T" posts a few yards from one another. I remember hearing that the ground under clotheslines holds a lot of targets because change could fall out of drying pockets. Good luck!

Nice man, that looks like a fun hunt! Look for where the clothesline would have been there might be old "T" posts a few yards from one another. I remember hearing that the ground under clotheslines holds a lot of targets because change could fall out of drying pockets. Good luck!

Thats what I was thinking! Looking at the orientation of that place to the compass and all for where the clothsline would be to the NW or W and where an outhouse might have been located to the NE of the back door.....that little swale of trees out back might be worth a pass as well..We are excited to see what you get out of there next!
Mud.

I think you are the first to visit with all of those coins found. How old is the farm? It looks a lovely spot and after a little cleaning, I'd be moving in!

I think you are the first to visit with all of those coins found. How old is the farm? It looks a lovely spot and after a little cleaning, I'd be moving in!

Supposedly the 40s but I cant confirm that. As far as all the coins that makes sense I mean how can there not be more stuff there! I got my 5x8 today too so I will be swinging that next time.

Maybe take a peek in the attic, and around the stairway if it's two story. If it had an outhouse, ck the walk path from the house out to the privy, also ck where the clothesline was, storm cellars are good too!

Back
Top Bottom