• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

New Jersey Copper, Over Stamped Matron and More

ChesapeakeTim

Went and visited one of my steadily producing sites last Monday before it had gotten really cold and a slammed with snow. I guess I hunted for about 3 hours on 300+ acres. I have a pretty good idea where the majority of the activity took place on this farm years ago. I happened to stumble across a section that I haven’t really paid much attention to.

Walking back to the Jeep, I hit a nice high tone. My first thought was a can, the signal was loud and clear. Turned out to be an over-stamped Matron Head (1816-1835), its pretty toasted..but the stamp is very clear.

Had a couple other interesting finds as well, such as (what I think is) a lead button. Take a look at it, I haven’t seen anything like it before…and the shank is still intact. Also a found was a small lead disk that was folded.

Metal Detecting Coins Maryland.jpg

1786 New Jersey Copper Maryland.jpg

Over Stamped Matron Head Large Cent.jpg

Early Button Delmarva.jpg

Metal Detecting Delmarva.jpg

Hand Made Lead Button.jpg

Rare Lead Button.jpg

Eastern Shore Maryland Artifacts.jpg

Lead Artifact Maryland.jpg

Great finds and recovery. Can you tell me about the city maps? I would love to have some like those for my city.

Thanks! I would check with your local Historical Society. They would have all kinds of information regarding maps, books etc. These maps shown are from a book of maps that a local publishing company (no longer around) had made. I was able to find a copy to purchase, only so many were made.

Love colonial spots. Was at therapy today and got permission to hunt Battle of Brandywine private property. Told there was an old schoolhouse on the property. Now all I have to do is wait for two feet of snow to melt and the ground to thaw and I'm in business !

Congrats great haul! NJ copper is high on my bucket list love the buttons too HH!

Thank bud! Ive only found one other NJ copper...and Im always excited when I find them.

Nice coppers and relics Tim! That's and old site you've got....keep en coming!

The item coming from this spot are all over the place. Its a rather large area. I can find a indian head and 10 feet away Ill find a Half Penny...so its always interesting here.

Nice group of finds, congrats!

Thanks bud I appreciate it.

A very nice outing Tim. Congrats on the old big Copper and some great Relics. Jack

I love the coppers, I never get tired of find them! But Im kind of hooked on the lead button looking thing...never seen one like it.

Love colonial spots. Was at therapy today and got permission to hunt Battle of Brandywine private property. Told there was an old schoolhouse on the property. Now all I have to do is wait for two feet of snow to melt and the ground to thaw and I'm in business !

We got pounded here in Maryland. Im waiting for this mess to clear up too...then its back to digging. I think the uncertainty of not knowing when the snow will gone makes the wait much more antagonizing.

So here's something really interesting I've just somewhat discovered. The smashed up 2 piece button shown below (shown above as well), is a Civil War Infantry button I believe. I absolutely can't tell from the front, but being the back is gone, I can see the image reversed. I knew something was on the button, but I didn't know for sure what it was until earlier today when I was cleaning it.

IMG_1254.jpg

Back
Top Bottom