Trime Update....1859....Is It Real???

JNimons

Forum Supporter
Last Sunday I found a 3 cent piece. Still blows my mind! If you saw last Sundays post, you saw how toasted it was. I thought I could make out the date as 1853. I got a lot of comments on the forums and facebook about it being a counterfeit because of the corrosion. I'm pretty sure the coin was in a fire. Under magnification you can see the crust is superficial. Maybe I'm wrong and someone can point me in the right direction.

After about 15 hours the past week trying to clean this coin, (I know...it is sacrilegious to clean a coin, but what was it worth in the condition it was???) I an confident the coin is silver. I got a date, 1859. The obverse cleaned up way better then the reverse, but I'm not done. Part of the obverse looks as if it melted. It "blobbed" up around the date. Took a lot of magnification to make out a date.

Here are pictures ....

the Trime last Sunday just cleaned dry with a toothpick

After a couple days in lemon juice, and then olive oil, and some toothpick work

here are some after multiple hot baking soda baths and toothpick work. The back is being very stubborn.

Best picture of the date I could get under magnification, using a pair of high end 10x50 binoculars inverted, and my cell phone

Almost looks like the coin started to come apart at the date, and right above the date is what looks like a blob of melted metal.

So...whats your take.....real or fake? I think this one is real.

I agree with Wolf's comment on the first post you made; I think it is real, that it is 90% silver (as that year was), and that it has been in a fire.

I agree with Wolf's comment on the first post you made; I think it is real, that it is 90% silver (as that year was), and that it has been in a fire.

Thanks Seven!

Great coin! Your VDI should give you some good insight to composition. Congrats!!

Remember it being in the 12-20's on my Etrac. It air tested 12-24, 12-25. and a single drop in ferrous to 11-24. Very, very similar to what my very thin seated half dime rings

I found a mercury dime once that had been in a fire and the condition was very similar to your trime. I believe what you have is the real deal.

Nice! Nailed it.. lol. I'm glad you were able to pull a date off her. Keep at it, maybe the rest of the crust will flake off. HH

Nimons, that's certainly real, and a fired coin. looks 100% legit to me, amazing find.

Mike

Thanks Mike!

I found a mercury dime once that had been in a fire and the condition was very similar to your trime. I believe what you have is the real deal.

I think so too!

Good cleaning job! I agree...looks real...congrats!

Thank you MM

It's a legit silver 3 center...

:D

It looks real looks like it was in a fire

I agree Bri

Too bad it was in a fire lots of detail on it

I thought the same thing. Not a lot of circulation on that one.

Yer dedicated,I'll give ya that!:lol: I know nothing of how to determine what,either way.....very cool!

Grounds frozen...Dark when I get out of work, and snowing sideways for the past 12 plus hours....Gave me something to do! :laughing:

I have found silver coins that looked far worse than your 3-center looks, and I have no reason to believe they are fake silver coins.

Congrats again, John.

HH,
Dan

Back
Top Bottom