1800's Watch Case...and my best V nickel so far!

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
In an small park near my house that I have hit a million times that I knew there used to be an neighborhood built on this spot that was all knocked down when they built a freeway near here.
I have found a ton of clad in this park in the past, some wheaties and even 3 steel cents on one hunt which was crazy but never anything else much older.
This morning it was cool so I thought I would just pop over here and dig a few things in the short time I have today.
I was hunting in a small strip near the street, this would have been the front lawns of some of those small houses.
Mostly came across junk, tabs, pop and screw off tops, can slaw, but then I got a decent high tone around the quarter area on my F70...also still using the new Nel Sharpshooter coil.
Unusually solid and not jumpy and even though it painted huge like a can i went after it anyway.
Up comes this large heavy watch case, no guts, made of nickel silver...which is not silver, just a name of the cheaper alloy using combinations of copper, nickel and zinc.
Info I found states this particular case is made out of mostly nickel.
Later I scraped off the crud on the inside back and got a name and serial number, the Illinois Watch Case Co. and found a website with those serial number dates but those were for their movements...there are no surviving lists for dates on watch cases from this company.
Still, gotta believe this is an 1800's model.
The company moved from Chicago to Elgin in the late 1880's and started to use the name Elgin on their cases in 1891 and the Elgin Watch Co. was not too happy about that so they ended up in court several times over the years.
Still, no Elgin on this case so a big clue and I am pretty confident this case is pre 1900

A few minutes later I got a bit bouncy nickel signal and from very shallow, maybe only about 2", up comes a nickel sized disc but so crusted over I thought it might be just junk.
This soil does a real number on coins sometimes that have been sitting in the dirt for about 100 years.
After a bit of cleaning using a twig I found on the ground lots of that crust came off and I see stars around one edge and part of a bust.
Holy Moly, I think I got a V nickel here!
A bit more scrubbing with that twig and I see a date, a little wrecked and scarred but I believe it is 1888....might be 1892.
Either way I am thrilled to hit the 1800's.
I found 2 other V's in the past but both were so smooth it was difficult to ID them, this one is way better and eventually I could make out the V on the back.

A bonus is I got a few contests going with bruinvikes for the whole year, not a bet for anything else but glory...I figure it will keep us both pushing forward for the whole season.
One is for oldest coin and he had me beat with a 1906 Indian...till now.
He has his work cut out for him after this one, even at his older sites in his nice Ohio soil.

Broke into the 1800's for the first time this year in a surprising way on a nothing hunt...don't you just love when that happens in this hobby?

Attachments

• user10659_pic75390_1494775989.jpg
    user10659_pic75390_1494775989.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 217
  • user10659_pic75392_1494783075_PerfectlyClear0001.jpg
    user10659_pic75392_1494783075_PerfectlyClear0001.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
Great story and history lesson love the finds! I found some sorta pocket watch gear recently and my very first V-Nickle as well from 1912 in really good condition! Happy Hunting!

MetalHead

with the ring style bow the timeframe is generally correct and yeh you're not going to find a list of case serials.

Illinois watch case co has no connection to Illinois watch co so those movement serials don't help you in any way either.

My rainy day hobby is antique pocket watch repair and collecting, cool find.

with the ring style bow the timeframe is generally correct and yeh you're not going to find a list of case serials.

Illinois watch case co has no connection to Illinois watch co so those movement serials don't help you in any way either.

My rainy day hobby is antique pocket watch repair and collecting, cool find.

Thanks all, and thanks for the watch info.
The history about the city of Elgin and the watch companies that manufactured there is cool.
By the late 1800's the Illinois Watch Case Co., which is different than the Illinois Watch Co., was lured to Elgin with a great deal on a manufacturing facility and started to use the name Elgin prominently in their product and ads in 1891.
Elgin Watch Co. used and won but the supreme court overturned the decision.
In 1893 they went back to just Illinois Watch Case Co. for awhile but continued to futz with their name after that.

"What's In A Name

At one point, the company name was said to have been changed to the Elgin National Watch Case Co. In actuality, it was changed to the Elgin Watch Case Co. in 1891, upon the company's move to Elgin. At various times the company advertised its products as "Elgin Watch Cases" and prefaced their case names with the word "Elgin." In catalog cuts of their cases (which were made available to jobbers and retailers to use in catalogs and advertising), where other case companies placed their names, such as "Wadsworth," "Dueber," "Roy," etc., the Illinois Watch Case Co. placed the name "Elgin." An 1895 Elgin Watch Case Ad serves as an example of the overwhelming use of the name "Elgin." This seems a bit odd insofar as the company name was changed back to be the Illinois Watch Case Co. in 1893. The extensive use of the name "Elgin" could be construed to give the impression that the watch case company was associated with the well-known Elgin Watch Co.

There was no association between the two and the watch company eventually brought suit against the case company to prevent them from using the "Elgin" name. The suit was decided in the favor of the watch company in the lower courts in 1898, but the decision was overturned in the Supreme Court. The citation for that case is Elgin Nat. Watch Co. v. Illinois Watch Case Co., 179 U.S. 665 (1901), as reported by John F. (in a message board post on July 11, 2002). Nevertheless, following the court rulings, the Illinois ads were toned down.

Later on, cases were advertised as made by, and were labeled with, the name Elgin Giant Watch Case Co. documents show that this was a part of the Illinois Watch Case Co. or that both operated under the same umbrella.

There may also be some confusion as to whether there was an association between the Illinois Watch Case Co. and the Illinois Watch Company. There wasn't."

Thanks all, and thanks for the watch info.
The history about the city of Elgin and the watch companies that manufactured there is cool.
By the late 1800's the Illinois Watch Case Co., which is different than the Illinois Watch Co., was lured to Elgin with a great deal on a manufacturing facility and started to use the name Elgin prominently in their product and ads in 1891.
Elgin Watch Co. used and won but the supreme court overturned the decision.
In 1893 they went back to just Illinois Watch Case Co. for awhile but continued to futz with their name after that.

"What's In A Name

At one point, the company name was said to have been changed to the Elgin National Watch Case Co. In actuality, it was changed to the Elgin Watch Case Co. in 1891, upon the company's move to Elgin. At various times the company advertised its products as "Elgin Watch Cases" and prefaced their case names with the word "Elgin." In catalog cuts of their cases (which were made available to jobbers and retailers to use in catalogs and advertising), where other case companies placed their names, such as "Wadsworth," "Dueber," "Roy," etc., the Illinois Watch Case Co. placed the name "Elgin." An 1895 Elgin Watch Case Ad serves as an example of the overwhelming use of the name "Elgin." This seems a bit odd insofar as the company name was changed back to be the Illinois Watch Case Co. in 1893. The extensive use of the name "Elgin" could be construed to give the impression that the watch case company was associated with the well-known Elgin Watch Co.

There was no association between the two and the watch company eventually brought suit against the case company to prevent them from using the "Elgin" name. The suit was decided in the favor of the watch company in the lower courts in 1898, but the decision was overturned in the Supreme Court. The citation for that case is Elgin Nat. Watch Co. v. Illinois Watch Case Co., 179 U.S. 665 (1901), as reported by John F. (in a message board post on July 11, 2002). Nevertheless, following the court rulings, the Illinois ads were toned down.

Later on, cases were advertised as made by, and were labeled with, the name Elgin Giant Watch Case Co. documents show that this was a part of the Illinois Watch Case Co. or that both operated under the same umbrella.

There may also be some confusion as to whether there was an association between the Illinois Watch Case Co. and the Illinois Watch Company. There wasn't."

Yep I belong to the NAWCC where you got that

I have a few books and online info is always helpful. The reddish brown one is from 1896 which is pretty interesting.

Attachments

• IMG_3551.JPG
    IMG_3551.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 121
Back
Top Bottom