My New DFX

bobbulge

Elite Member
Went out today , just around my house, and didn't want to dig anything yet but kept on seeing pennies and quarters at 2-4 inches on the readout. I want my first find with my DFX to be something decent so I'm waiting for this weekend and going to an old civil war era carnival ground or so the sign says and won't dig until I see something at a 5 + depth. Wish me luck!!!

Thats cool, you got your DFX Bob!

Wish you luck and I hope you find something real good for your first find. Make it 8"+ to be sure :!:

I guess now would be a good time to fill you in on our secret society and the initiation process you will have to endure. There will be a little blood but no lasting effects... physically. 8)

Welcome to the Dark Side... uugh, I mean DFX side.

Jack

Congrats on the new DFX! I got mine about 3 weeks ago and I am impressed with the depth. I now digging pennies at 6-7inches in very dry soil out here in AZ. I was pretty much just getting them at around 4 inches with mt XLT. Your gonna love it. Good luck.

Congrats on the new DFX but I think there may be a problem with it. Seriously, you best just send it down here to me and I'll check it over for you, you know, make sure everythings ok with it!! :D

I went out today and it sure is a lot trickier than my old 6000DI, The 6000 would stop on whatever was in the ground, whereas the DFX jumps around alot. Also when I pulled the trigger for depth and x out until the minimum depth to pinpoint it said OVERLOAD at 0.0.

Any idea what that means? ANd do you have to ground balance when you go from wet soil to grassy soil?

I think I might try to learn by sound! I can distinguish sounds pretty good.

And thanks for all the luck went out for about half an hour and found a penny a little silver charm from a charm bracelet. I guess I have to take my time. I rushed through because today is very hectic for me. Thanks again for the luck! ;)

At least you got out with it and not stuck inside. Plus you found more then I did, that was not junk. :( (hopefully this weekend will be better.) I will let the more seasoned DFX users answer everything else. :lol:

bobbulge said:
I went out today and it sure is a lot trickier than my old 6000DI, The 6000 would stop on whatever was in the ground, whereas the DFX jumps around alot. Also when I pulled the trigger for depth and x out until the minimum depth to pinpoint it said OVERLOAD at 0.0.

Any idea what that means? ANd do you have to ground balance when you go from wet soil to grassy soil?

I think I might try to learn by sound! I can distinguish sounds pretty good.

And thanks for all the luck went out for about half an hour and found a penny a little silver charm from a charm bracelet. I guess I have to take my time. I rushed through because today is very hectic for me. Thanks again for the luck! ;)

Bob first of all congratulations on the DFX! Now the dirty work :lol: I have a 6000 Di series 3 which is and will stay in the closet! There is no comparison to the DFX! The reason you were getting overload is you hit an area which had something that was to large for the detector to read! As soon as I get overload I move away...Its usually a large piece of junk, or could be caused by emi (electrical interference)<do not worry you will see that near large metal objects such as fences, posts, etc. You mentioned it was around your house....could have been electrical wires? pipes in ground? tons of metal around buildings! You should read the manual! If not... :?: start in coin mode gives you a little more discrimination than c/j coin/jewelry mode. I will tell you I ground balance a few times usually while out but...if you are getting a nice steady threshold (hum) i would not keep rebalancing! Also certain areas you will not be able to ground balance (wood chips often for one) don't worry about it! The dfx will go into a preset ground balance usually works fine. Do you know what tone i.d is? The dfx has distinct sounds for each different vdi number, so once you read manual and get used to using a little definitely turn on. Completely takes guess work out of what coin is. Also when dfx says quarter, 95% of time it will be a quarter, last hit I had that was not was a silver ring! :D Pennies seem to come up around 55-78, dimes show usually as>>>>penny /dime and come in usually around 78-81, quarters 81-84, gold usually starting at 6 with platinum up into 40s, usually. Pulltabs the brother of the nickel>>>>16-30's, most dead nickel hits 18-19, but yesterday I focused on nickels because someone mentioned for all the coins I have found this year I should be digging more nickels...So I dug all hits between 16-24..he was right...added 14 nickels to my totals alone! The dfx is the right machine don't worry day by day as you use it, it will start to amaze you! Good luck and remember...>>>>DFX NO LOOKING BACK!

The dfx is no toy, if you have any doubts about it I think you can ask here, seems like there are a bunch of great guys using the dfx here.

Definitely start out in either the default Coin or Coin / Jewelry mode until you get familiar with how the DFX reacts to targets. It should be as simple as turning it on, picking the mode then follow the direction to balance. Hold waist high press button, lower to the ground(I actually keep about 1" off the ground) and press button. You should be off and running.

Thanks Gregg I appreciate the time you took to bring me up on the info. There were no fences or major metal things around when I got the overload, nothing but woods. But I appreciate your info. I did have the preamp Gain to 4 because I see everyone posting to set it at 4 I guess I better leave it at 2 until I get more use to it.

Hey Jeb, at least you have a wife who enjoys your hobby, mine thinks I look like a stupid big kid with Mickey Mouse ears(headphones).
SHe asks when I'm going to grow Up. I told her if I hit something big, I'll treat her. She told me to sell the detector and treat her. Won't even give me a chance.

He Dooby you probably would be a little luckier in my yard than I am, but give me some time, I have 5 years till I retire and by then I hope to be efficient, I hope.

I will still bet the bank roll that the overload was caused by something large and metal. Just so you know I get an overload this morning just from a juice bag/container the kind the kids drink out of with a straw. Overloads are no big deal. take it like this>>>(move on)! Take a look at my totals...<Almost everything found in pre set programs! get to know your detector first!!!I do not think you need to be messing around with pre amp yet! I do bump mine up to 3 sometimes....but four usually gives me a lot of squealing!

Joe O said:
Congrats on the new DFX! I got mine about 3 weeks ago and I am impressed with the depth. I now digging pennies at 6-7inches in very dry soil out here in AZ. I was pretty much just getting them at around 4 inches with mt XLT. Your gonna love it. Good luck.

I was dissapointed with my buddies XLT...I'll have to check the DFX out. I loved the look and feel of the XLT, but the performance was questionable(and I used it extensively...probably more than him over the last 8 years). I am already getting pennies at that depth with the BH, but I am iching to get a new detector after 13 years of hard use.

Just a note on wanting a depth of 5 or more inches for the good stuff. I dug an 1899 indian head penny yesterday at and old house at around 1 1/2 inches. I was surprised too, but it happens. I dig anything that is not right on the surface.

Back
Top Bottom