How do I remove Carbon Fiber handle from my scoop?

Golden Oaks

Forum Supporter
I am having difficulties with trying to remove my handle from my scoop. The scoop needs sent in for repairs. I do not want to damage the end of the handle it is threaded for the washer & bolt. I saw one video that mentioned using a 9/16 socket on a 9 inch 3/8th extension. then with the extension sticking outside of the scoop, hit it with a hammer.

Any other ideas?

:?:

My $15 fiberglass handle.... now has another advantage. What scoop? Personally I’d bang th scoop a few times on the concrete... put my foot in it and try twisting loose.

I think my best option is to take it to a local machine shop. There are many marine welders here and just have one of them fix where my scoop is cracking. It may only cost a little more than shipping my Stealth to California.

When I get my CF shaft out of my Stealth scoop I'll let you know... I broke it on a hunt a few weeks ago... I heard a crack and knew the CF was finished.

What I am going to try is to loosen the bolt in the bottom of the plug that goes into the CF shaft and see if I can hammer it out.

I think my best option is to take it to a local machine shop. There are many marine welders here and just have one of them fix where my scoop is cracking. It may only cost a little more than shipping my Stealth to California.

Make sure they weld it up with TIG...

Last edited:
Man remind me to never offer to fix your scoop Joe lol. Ugly scoops.... gota go

:laughing:

I once was a welder, we take great pride in beautiful beads.. Can't be seen with something like that..:lol:..but I still have it, hidden in the trunk of my car..:roll:

My Stealth has SS hardware and removing a handle is simple,,,,,,,I personally have never wanted to spend the $ on a CF handle for my scoop,,,,Them $15 dollar fibgerglass Hoe handles at tractor supply with a 1" dowel glued inside once you cut the hoe off does me fine for a year or two,,,,,,Sooo, for $15 maybe reconsider worry about breaking the handle,,,,,,:?:

Took mine to a local metal fabricator. He looked at the scoop and said that he charged $25.00 an hour to weld stainless. I asked how much time is involved and he said about an hour. Got a call next morning. Scoop is repaired.. Picked it up and the receptionist said Have a Nice day. I asked how much do I owe you/ She said "The Boss" said to tell you have a nice day. He did a good job.

Some penetrating oil might help or perhaps using a heat gun or a quick heating with a pencil torch on the stainless tube surface of the scoop will allow it to expand slightly?

That’s what my friend did with his stealth scoop. We are in Florida. For the cost of shipping it out to California he had it repaired locally and had it the next day. I would compare shipping cost versus local repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am having difficulties with trying to remove my handle from my scoop. The scoop needs sent in for repairs. I do not want to damage the end of the handle it is threaded for the washer & bolt. I saw one video that mentioned using a 9/16 socket on a 9 inch 3/8th extension. then with the extension sticking outside of the scoop, hit it with a hammer.

Any other ideas?

:?:

I used PB Blaster then rested the scoop between my large vice without tightening it against the bucket.. I then went thru the holes in the scoop over the plug with a steel rod I use to push out bearings on my landscaping equipment and was able to tap it out in a few minutes... I really don't want to get into trying to repair the handle... I think it will be too short water hunting...

Where you see the wear on the CF shaft was where my boot rubbed through one of the oval holes in the 720i's tube. Why the fibers to the right exploded beyond me...

Attachments

• IMG_0894.jpg
    IMG_0894.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_0893.jpg
    IMG_0893.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0892.jpg
    IMG_0892.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 224
So is there a wooden dowel in the bottom? I guess no one ever thinks ...what if I need to remove it? Well I still like my 7 year old $15 fiberglass one.

So is there a wooden dowel in the bottom? I guess no one ever thinks ...what if I need to remove it? Well I still like my 7 year old $15 fiberglass one.

Its not wood its plastic the ones with a different mount use wood plug

Back
Top Bottom