Need help to identify this piece

quizzio

Hi folks , need help to identify this piece I found at a 1700's house here in CT., I took to coin dealers with no luck and spent hrs.on the internet with the same results , it is a 2 piece artifact that seems to be somehow joined but I would say has now separated partially from being buried for a while , I think it is was meant to be pressed on a jacket or whatever but that is my guess , any help is appreciated , Thanks
Doug

Attachments

• DSCN0255.jpg
    DSCN0255.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 465
  • DSCN0256.JPG
    DSCN0256.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 452
  • DSCN0257.jpg
    DSCN0257.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 438
Certainly an unusual piece. Can't say I have ever seen anything like it. What type of material do you think it is made of ? Might help in identifying it's use.

Think you nailed it

Thanks HeavyM I am very sure you got it , wonder how I can find out the year , will start looking at them and maybe get lucky,
Thanks again!

That is a very old seal. I'd guess 1700's easily. The script (16 1/2) is indicative. I am surprised it's so clean. Normally lead of that age has quite a white patina.

I am surprised it's so clean. Normally lead of that age has quite a white patina.

I agree. Lead would have a white patina on it. This looks more like Pewter. But what it is, I have no idea. It does look like it was sandwiching some sort of material (cloth, leather, etc.). I hope someone can ID this! Cool looking find, quizzio!

Back
Top Bottom