Vanquish 540

basstrackerman

Elite Member
I used the 540 several times now here in southern Alabama. Areas mixed with red clayish dirt . It did very good. Found a deep wheat penny about 8" and a solid 26 . Clear signal and deep in this dirt. Also found a pendant at a solid 16 about 7-8" deep. All of the other coins were solid ID's but were not deep. All aluminum trash was mixed ID's and tones sounded hollow. I live close to the beach so that is where it will get most of it's use. I have the Nox 800 and Deus and ORX. The 540 is the perfect turn on and go detector with very nice clear tones that really anyone could use and find really nice stuff. It's perfect for the friend that isn't very good at detecting but wants to try. Also nice just to keep in your car or truck for the park or school or beach you want to scout. I see a lot of great uses for this detector. Some of the coins I found along with the wheaty did have some small rusty iron bits of pieces of nails with them in the hole. So it's not completely dead in the nails. It's very good in the parks and school yards where there are very little nails and lots of aluminum trash and bottle caps. As far as price goes, for $499 it does come with nox headphones and extra coil so I do feel it's a great value over the nox 600. It's collapsablity is another great feature. I'm tall and most of the nokta makro detectors do not extend far enough or are at the edge of length for me and that makes them flimsy or wobble some. The 540 extends alot further than I need and is solid with zero wobble.. for us tall guys that means alot

I'm considering the 540--How does it compare to your 800 regarding sensitivity and depth?
I like the handle over the Nox 600 and 800 and the replaceable batteries.
The 540 would be used mostly for coins, jewelry and maybe gold.
It's between the Equinox 600 and 540. The built in battery on the 600 is pushing me to the 540. Sacrificing too much for the battery issue?

The nox 600 & 800 are better more adjustable detectors. The 540 swings better and I feel has a better shaft design. The 540 is a very good detector and runs off of the multi IQ tech that the nox series uses. I have not done enough comparisons but I know the nox is the better one of the 2. With that said the 540 does great! Plenty deep enough and will have no problem finding gold and silver. Great for the beach too.

Curiously, Minelab's graphic for the Multi-IQ is different for the 540 compared to the 600/800. The top is for the 540 and the bottom is for both the 600 and 800 leading me to think the 540 has a smaller frequency range

Attachments

• Multi-IQ.jpg
    Multi-IQ.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 886
  • Multi-IQ2.jpg
    Multi-IQ2.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 886
Equinox 600 has 5 frequencies available for Multi just like the 800. You can only select three of them for single frequency 5kHz, 10kHz and 15kHz.

Jeff

Curiously, Minelab's graphic for the Multi-IQ is different for the 540 compared to the 600/800. The top is for the 540 and the bottom is for both the 600 and 800 leading me to think the 540 has a smaller frequency range

As ALWAYS Mine Lab leaves everyone guessing..

Equinox 600 has 5 frequencies available for Multi just like the 800. You can only select three of them for single frequency 5kHz, 10kHz and 15kHz.

Jeff

This is right. I've been out of the hobby for 6-7 months or more due to moving from Ohio to southern Alabama. I have forgotten some of the fine things lol. I still feel that the 540 is really a perfect backup to the nox due to getting nox headphones and an 8" coil for under $500. And still having multi IQ. It will be the easiest loaner I've ever had and will still work everywhere except in water and maybe heavy iron. My Deus I may sell and just keep my ORX as the detector that contributes to the nox.

Jeff

I've never seen that posted from minelab, saw alot of users say that but never saw anything from Minelab except the 600 has 3 frequencies.Where did you get that info?

I've never seen that posted from minelab, saw alot of users say that but never saw anything from Minelab except the 600 has 3 frequencies.Where did you get that info?

Minelab's website is lacking

https://www.kellycodetectors.com/catalog/minelab-equinox-600-metal-detector

The EQUINOX 600 and EQUINOX 800, are set up identically and will have identical performance to each other, under the same conditions. The EQUINOX 600 is limited to 5 kHz, 10 kHz, and 15 kHz single frequencies. This does not mean that the 600 is not employing the full multi-frequency range as part of the Multi-IQ processing. Multi-frequency operation is identical in the two models and provides the same maximum signal response to targets in Park, Field and Beach Detect Modes.The real magic of EQUINOX is in the Multi-IQ technology (not the single frequencies), therefore you can rest assured the EQUINOX 600 matches the EQUINOX 800 in this regard.​

Woodbutcher, hopefully Despotes reply satisfies your reluctance to believe that the 600 is just about as good as the 800. I know you had a bad experience with yours but the 600 and 800 really are built on the exact same platform in Park, Field and Beach.

Jeff

Minelab site and the manual both state that the 600 runs all 5 in multi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff

No bad experience with the equinox, I just wasn't overly impressed, but a good machine still.. ..But, I just went over the manual for the equinox and minelabs website too,, and no where does it say multi frequency on the 600 has 20 and 40 kHz...only 5, 10 and 15 kHz....kellyco is about he worst place for info, good try tho..
I'm not picking the 600 apart, I'm just saying what minelab and the equinox handbook says ,, no 20 or 40 kHz listed or ever referred to in the 600
I will pick up another equinox in the spring it'll be a 600, cause I don't need those high frequencies of the 800...Be nice if the 600 did have them tho, couldn't hurt but not worth the extra money on the 800

No bad experience with the equinox, I just wasn't. Overly impressed ..But, I just went over the manual for the equinox and minelabs website too,, and no where does it say multi frequency on the 600 has 20 and 40 kHz...only 5, 10 and 15 kHz....kellyco is about he worst place for info, good try tho..
I'm not picking the 600 apart, I'm just saying what minelab and the equinox handbook says ,, no 20 or 40 kHz listed or ever referred to in the 600
When I pick up another equinox in the spring it'll be a 600, cause I don't need those high frequencies of the 800...Be nice if the 600 did havr them tho, couldn't hurt but not worth the extra money on the 800

In the Tech Specs for the 600. The brochure lists the same thing as well as the quote below.
https://www.minelab.com/__files/f/322507/4907-0969-1%20Brochure,%20EQUINOX%20Series%20AQ%204p%20EN%20US%20WEB.pdf

https://www.minelab.com/metal-detectors/equinox-600
"* 20 kHz and 40 kHz not available as single operating frequencies in EQUINOX 600. Multi-IQ frequency range shown applies to both EQUINOX 600 and 800. | This diagram is representative only. Actual sensitivity levels will depend upon target types and sizes, ground conditions and detector settings."

Attachments

• 600.jpg
    600.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 801
  • EQ600.jpg
    EQ600.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 962
No bad experience with the equinox, I just wasn't. Overly impressed ..But, I just went over the manual for the equinox and minelabs website too,, and no where does it say multi frequency on the 600 has 20 and 40 kHz...only 5, 10 and 15 kHz....kellyco is about he worst place for info, good try tho..
I will pick up another equinox in the spring it'll be a 600, cause I don't need those high frequencies of the 800...Be nice if the 600 did havr them tho, couldn't hurt but not worth the extra money on the 800

well it does have those frequencies when running multi IQ only when selecting a single frequency you are limited to the 5-10-15 thats it.. multi IQ is exactly the same on the nox 600 and 800

well it does have those frequencies when running multi IQ only when selecting a single frequency you are limited to the 5-10-15 thats it.. multi IQ is exactly the same on the nox 600 and 800

Ok, I guess we all decider what it says differently..one thing I'm sure is nowhere does it say ( the 600 incorporates 5 frequencies when run in multi) ..If that are true it would state that.. That graph is showing for the 600 AND the 800, that's why your seeing 20 and 40 kHz..but hey, read it as you want.

Ok, I guess we all decider what it says differently..one thing I'm sure is nowhere does it say ( the 600 incorporates 5 frequencies when run in multi) ..If that are true it would state that.. That graph is showing for the 600 AND the 800, that's why your seeing 20 and 40 kHz..but hey, read it as you want.
It states it right here in reference to the graph:
Multi-IQ frequency range shown applies to both EQUINOX 600 and 800.
The full range applies to both.

Also--Note that EQUINOX Series detectors also feature Multi-IQ technology which allows you to operate all available single frequencies plus more, simultaneously
From 3FX3 description in Tech specs

Believe what you want Woodbutcher. I have both the 600 and 800 and in real world testing with identical settings including recovery speed and iron bias they detect exactly the same in Park, Field, and Beach.

Jeff

Straight from Andy Sabischs book, can’t word it any more clearly.

b718b6e4c9753bdda971763ad95813f1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom