Sanded in ?

A good 80% of my gold is found in the wet sand... I think I will visit you ;)

Yeah , but not 3' deep like he says. Some of our beaches are deep like that now. After digging 10 holes about 2' deep after awile , I'm beat. You can come to So.Cal. At least the water doesn't freeze.

Tom . Can you then explain why the lake scuba hunters and back east boys in goldfish bowls are showing great finds ?

Because still-water "stationary " lake-bottoms are not the same as perpetually changing ocean -beaches.

You would be the first to acknowledge "sanded in" versus "eroded out ", on ocean beaches. Right ? That is not as pronounced on still -water lake beaches. Right ?

Because still-water "stationary " lake-bottoms are not the same as perpetually changing ocean -beaches.

You would be the first to acknowledge "sanded in" versus "eroded out ", on ocean beaches. Right ? That is not as pronounced on still -water lake beaches. Right ?

I would somewhat agree. But they still have wind , wind driven waves and tidal movement. All amounting to erosion , no ? The bottom contour changes. Still , with your thinking , how do they keep producing these fabulous finds ?

Come on down! The gulf really only varies a foot maybe between high and low tide, so maybe 6 foot wide strip of wet sand, and you can usually look down and see bottlecaps and pulltabs in the sand...

A good 80% of my gold is found in the wet sand... I think I will visit you ;)

12-14-19 Aliso and Laguna report... 25mph wave surges try to kill you. Some targets but not worth it to me. Wet up to belt line and just a two footer almost knocked me over. Sand definitely moving but very soft like quicksand. Looking forward to a hot shower.

12-14-19 Aliso and Laguna report... 25mph wave surges try to kill you. Some targets but not worth it to me. Wet up to belt line and just a two footer almost knocked me over. Sand definitely moving but very soft like quicksand. Looking forward to a hot shower.
Aliso very tough beach. Better off this afternoon on the minus tide - only way under these conditions to have a chance. I did Laguna main last week : very bad. Same as around Newport. See them dredging the river jetties ? They are putting it all over , pull tabs everywhere. Rest up and hit the low tomorrow, GL !

Conditions still ain't right for my part of CA yet either (Monterey bay). Still sanded in. But will be stubborn and go take a look at some close-by beaches here within the hour....

Conditions still ain't right for my part of CA yet either (Monterey bay). Still sanded in. But will be stubborn and go take a look at some close-by beaches here within the hour....

GL , hope something pans out for you guys up there. Down here , it's not all that good even with some larger surf.

It did look drastically better on the Laguna Main webcam at the end of the day - low tide. The waves/water had receded back probably over 100 feet (!) and were smaller. Had to be some good targets there.

.... The waves/water had receded back probably over 100 feet (!)....

Don't let the super low lunar/winter super-minus tides fool you. If there hasn't been any erosion ingredients (the right swell direction + heights), then the only thing the super minus Tides do, is expose tons more sand to walk around in, that is sterile . Doh !

Unfortunately the recent swell train (ending yesterday), was NW.

And.... not sure about So. CA, ... but up here, our NW facing beaches are acclimated to much higher NW heights. And our SW facing beaches are "shadowed" from NW direction.

At least in-so-far as the legendary thick pockets will go. Naturally there are always random low spots, pockets, etc... But as for seeking the "big events ", this recent system didn't measure up, IMHO.

I gotta agree with Tom on this one. The vast majority of this minus tide wasteland is just that. I can easily zigzag 50-100 yards and be lucky to hit anything. Too much sand still. Am I going to grid it ? Oh hell no !!! Last year this time a few beaches had good targets all over the place. Over the last 3 weeks though , when I have found some good slopes and cuts , I have made some decent finds. But they are small pockets here and there. Have had to hit many beaches to find good ones.

Half the people who hunt around here don't have finds pouches.. nimrods :laughing:
Very funny.... that's because you guys are in the water neck deep. Dumping your scoop in a strainer floatater ! I always have one , so I can haul out small trash. Some don't and claim they pocket the trash....these are the rookies.

he sounds like Cleveland....

Attachments

• The_Cleveland_Show_season_1_DVD.jpg
    The_Cleveland_Show_season_1_DVD.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 60
Very funny.... that's because you guys are in the water neck deep. Dumping your scoop in a strainer floatater ! I always have one , so I can haul out small trash. Some don't and claim they pocket the trash....these are the rookies.

I don't hunt without out a pouch... and I don't hunt neck deep either.. if I did I would only be 6 inches from drowning.. I don't swim :D I hunt slopes and waist deep that is it... we can walk out hundreds feet without getting water neck deep here... you should have known that because we are fishbowl hunters :lol:

No cuts, slopes, or scallops there.

Laguna beach recently had sand imported. Fyi Tom: the main canyon road that leads to the beach can get heavily flooded during major storms. Businesses board up there doors , windows with plywood. River of water and mud flow , washing out the beach. Some years back it killed many people.

Back
Top Bottom