using hand held pin pointers in ocean beach hunting

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
I need to get your opinions. I am writing a beach hunting guide and I personally don't use a pin pointer on the beach since I find my AT Pro does a good job of locating the target and the my foot moving the dry sand around and the scoop does the job for me. on the lower beaches i use the scoop until i find the target.

do you guys use handheld pin pointers on your ocean beach hunt?

Absolutely. My FBS machines hit on some incredibly small targets and it speeds things up a lot in the wet sand.

for the most part no :cool: but it all depends on the situation, say if its clay and thick muck i like to use the pinpointer to cut through the clumps and find the target easier and when it comes to small things that fall though the scoop holes its a must, although i haven't had one in a bit mine got ripped off , well me and my buddy both got robbed while in the water detecting :no:

I never use my sunray in-line pinpointer for the beach. The sandscoop sieve finds and isolates the target just fine. If it's something small that keeps going through the basket, then I just wave handfuls of the sand past the coil till I've got the little zipper or earing or whatever . But that's infrequent enough that having a pinpointer isn't any faster.

I use mine after i confirm a target in my sifter while water hunting.I'll dump my scoop in my sifter swing my coil over the sifter to confirm its in there.I will give a quick look and if i don't see it then I'll pull out the Garret Carrot finds the target in seconds. When your hunting a low tide every minute counts...

I too use an AT Pro for the damp/dry sand. But I digress, I always carry my Carrot Stick with me. I may not use it every time I go out but I've used it on may occasions to pull some small stud earrings (gold and silver both) out of the sand as they kept falling thru the scoop

I always bring mine. Really speeds things up. I am used to dirt hunting so it's my go to. If I want to take the time to kick it ,I will. However the pp is fast .

When I use a wire sifter type basket in dry sand I will barely use the pinpointer. When I hunt the flats at low tide and I am using a bigger scoop (Stealth), the contents of the sand is dumped and then I use my foot, pinpoint with the detector and if the target is not visible the pinpointer comes out. My theory is the fast I can recover the more holes I can dig to find the good stuff.

Rarely carry one. If it is so small that I cant isolate it pretty quickly I leave it for someone else to find. So far 99 percent of the smalls have been junk.

for the most part no :cool: but it all depends on the situation, say if its clay and thick muck i like to use the pinpointer to cut through the clumps and find the target easier and when it comes to small things that fall though the scoop holes its a must, although i haven't had one in a bit mine got ripped off , well me and my buddy both got robbed while in the water detecting :no:

robbed? did they have a gun? be interesting to know about that.

I never used one and don't think it is necessary. Of course, maybe I don't know what I'm missing. :roll:

Completely agree..........the beaches I hit are sloped so I'm normally knee deep / deeper in the water...... very little wet sand during low tide.........

dry sand is quick hunting...... using a pin pointer would only slow me down.......

Back
Top Bottom