New to digging

kdailey0924

We are new to digging and don't own a metal detector but want help to find old dumps in the Lehigh valley, Slatington, PA area. If anyone can help or give advice or even let us come along it would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

With no MD you can look for debris or sunken areas on the surface or get yourself a 4 ft. or larger spring-steel probe and stab those suspected areas for dumps.

Attachments

• Probes.jpg
    Probes.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 458
Where do you get those? And about how much do they cost?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Both of these I made myself from the spring-steel rods inside the trunk compartments from old (big) 70's cars.

You do kinda want some kind of blob at the end to sample soil because to locate privies, there is certain soil conditions you look for, but you can still use probes without one, but you also don't want any sharp points unless you want to go through a bottle or put a "ding" in one. (ask me how I know :lol:).

Find the "older" people, they can direct you to it. Also almost all old home sites had a dump of sorts, downwind of the homes, over a bank, etc. Good luck, I used to do this it was a lot of fun.

Best bet is to go to historicmapworks.com and look at the old maps of your area. find where there were old homes/farmsteads along creeks and wade down the creek in the area. I don't do any serious bottle hunting but I fish sooo many creeks and constantly see bottles washing out of creek banks.
If you're from that area, what are the spoils piles along the turnpike? I originally thought they were from boring the tunnel. Looking at google satellite, it looks like the remnants of surface mining activity. Ever seen any fossils in there????

Around here, many of the farms dumped over a ravine on the property, or near a low swampy area. I’ve dug many.

Back
Top Bottom