Why do dogs bark at detectorists? Possible reason... Revealed!

Skippy SH13

Forum Supporter
I have always just assumed that dogs wig-out around me, because I look like a three legged monstrosity with a weird head (headphones).

A few weeks ago, as a dog-walker passed by and the pooch predictably panicked, she stated something that should have been obvious from the get-go.

"Oh, she probably thinks that's a vacuum cleaner."

Lightbulb!

-Skippy

Reminded me I read a study where they were trying to learn why dogs turn around in circles before pooping and they believe it has to do with the earth's magnetic field, so next few times your dog poops take note if they are facing north or south. :lol:

Reminded me I read a study where they were trying to learn why dogs turn around in circles before pooping and they believe it has to do with the earth's magnetic field, so next few times your dog poops take note if they are facing north or south. :lol:

So I suppose dogs in Australia spin the opposite way when pooping? :lol:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Hey, maybe ask one of the forum members from there to watch dogs pooping a few times and note if they spin clockwise or counterclockwise, and if they face north or south when they stop spinning to poop, you might just be right ! :lol:

My dog is from the South, and she always faces South out of respect. Or maybe she's sending the North a message? :laughing::lol:

I think that study is more geared toward watching people's reactions to studies. Like "how many people watched their dog poop after reading that."

I actually made note of this several years ago, and have thoroughly noted that my dog poops any direction it decides to come out. LOL

Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle Bob! Thanks for providing this clue to the canine psyche.
I'm not buying the directional "homing" electromagnetic circling theory. Sorry.

My dog is from the South, and she always faces South out of respect. Or maybe she's sending the North a message? :laughing::lol:

I think that study is more geared toward watching people's reactions to studies. Like "how many people watched their dog poop after reading that."

I actually made note of this several years ago, and have thoroughly noted that my dog poops any direction it decides to come out. LOL

Well, I'm not a scientist so I can't vouch for the accuracy of their studies, I think I remember they watched 70 dogs over a 2 year period :shock:

…..but yes, it did get me to start noticing which way my dog is facing when she poops and it does seem like she faces north :lol: I'll have to keep track to see if she consistently faces north every time, not hard to do since I have to take her outside on a leash when she goes potty.

I'm sure they'll likely be other forum members who will watch which direction their dog faces when they poop after reading this :laughing:

Hey, might be nothing to it, but it's an interesting possibility :lol:

…….now if we can only figure out why sometimes it seems like our dog has to check about 10 different areas before she finds just the right spot to poop :lol:

Funny, I had just let the girls out and came in and clicked this thread so I ran back out to spy out the window. :lol: The Siberian was already on the porch but the lab was circling and wait....wait....south, dead on! :laughing:

This thread brings up another question. I remember back in the 70's you could walk down the street and see dog poop that had turned white. That white dog poop seemed to be everywhere. Now I can't even recall the last time I saw white dog poop. Where did it go? Something to do with the modern doggie diet or global warming?? :?::?: One of lifes big mysteries.

This thread brings up another question. I remember back in the 70's you could walk down the street and see dog poop that had turned white. That white dog poop seemed to be everywhere. Now I can't even recall the last time I saw white dog poop. Where did it go? Something to do with the modern doggie diet or global warming?? :?::?: One of lifes big mysteries.

I'm thinking that the white came from being baked in the sun. As such, if there is less white poop it's because there is less sun. This proves the Earth is cooling (less sun). Soon there will be no white poop left! Yet another extinction caused by climate change. This is an obvious and non-deniable fact backed up by top weather scientists, physicists, environmental experts and top universities, who (by coincidence) are living off of grants to prove this very thing. So who would know better?

Save the white poop!

I'm thinking that the white came from being baked in the sun. As such, if there is less white poop it's because there is less sun. This proves the Earth is cooling (less sun). Soon there will be no white poop left! Yet another extinction caused by climate change. This is an obvious and non-deniable fact backed up by top weather scientists, physicists, environmental experts and top universities, who (by coincidence) are living off of grants to prove this very thing. So who would know better?

Save the white poop!

This Thread definitely took a funny turn. LOL

Save the white poop!

:laughing:

Hey, maybe ask one of the forum members from there to watch dogs pooping a few times and note if they spin clockwise or counterclockwise, and if they face north or south when they stop spinning to poop, you might just be right ! :lol:

Funny, I had just let the girls out and came in and clicked this thread so I ran back out to spy out the window. :lol: The Siberian was already on the porch but the lab was circling and wait....wait....south, dead on! :laughing:

I'm still hoping to hear a report from one of the members from Australia :lol:

Funny enough I've never had dogs bark at me when dirt fishing... BUT have had quite a few looking over my shoulder into the hole I just dug when on my knees... sorta startling when you don't hear them come up on ya like that...

Here's a link that mentions the north-south magnetic field theory -

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/lifestyle/why-do-dogs-spin-before-poop/

a quote from the above link -

".....and a more recent theory in which researchers determined that dogs seem to prefer to do their business while aligned north-to-south with the earth's magnetic fields. Also, the video explains, dogs avoided an east-to-west orientation."

Also, I tried to do a search to find if there were any articles mentioning if some dogs might be sensitive to metal detectors, either if it makes a sound only they can hear or if they are sensitive to the signal it emits, but it's a difficult search because search results with "metal detector" include a lot of the security metal detectors instead of focusing on hobby metal detectors.

Agreed! More importantly, mine seems to like an audience - on a walk, he will actively wait until he finds a spot where someone is outside and squat right there. And not just that, he’ll make sure he orients himself so that he’s staring right at that person while he’s pinching it off! He’s a pretty big dog, 85-90 pounds in his prime - less now that he’s older. But still, it’s like watching a small human poop in your yard! Not sure what kind of issue he’s got going on there, because otherwise he’s an absolute sweetheart :lol:

Theres a lot to this Earth Magnetics topic that we as metal hunters cannot ignore! We have to be in sync with the Natural lay lines! When I travel, I book a room with a N facing bed and an E facing window..

When I fly, E to W, I get a seat on the aisle in the back on the S side of the plane...conversely when I fly W to E...See? If you want to find metal, its imperative to keep your body aligned to the magneto effect of the Earth! Otherwise, you are just fighting your own emitted EMI!!! When I drive, I never cross traffic if I can help it! The magnetic effect of on coming autos is contrary and disrupts my personal field aura...

I also knock out street lights just by driving under them!...Not all people can do this! This phenomenon is well documented and govt studied!...its called "SLIDERS"...for Street Light Interferrence Disruptor of Electromagnetic Resonator Systems"...Dont believe me? Google it!

For a guy to have a productive Life, he must recognize and pay attention to the simple Laws of Nature! Like Nicolai Tesla did! :laughing: My dog has no such sense!...No consideration or knowledge of directional anal discharge consequences!....:laughing: I calculate he has dropped nearly 3.65 tons of Chow Hound grain based stool so far! 2lbs a day, 365 days per year X 10 yrs old...so yeah..thats a heap of dog dung I've picked up! Just something else for a Human to think about! :laughing: Lesson is, get a little dog like I did to save yourself some back trouble!

Who woulda thought one little dog could lay down so much poop? I pity you guys with Rottweilers! :laughing:

Attachments

• pimay.jpg
    pimay.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
Theres a lot to this Earth Magnetics topic that we as metal hunters cannot ignore! We have to be in sync with the Natural lay lines! When I travel, I book a room with a N facing bed and an E facing window..

When I fly, E to W, I get a seat on the aisle in the back on the S side of the plane...conversely when I fly W to E...See? If you want to find metal, its imperative to keep your body aligned to the magneto effect of the Earth! Otherwise, you are just fighting your own emitted EMI!!! When I drive, I never cross traffic if I can help it! The magnetic effect of on coming autos is contrary and disrupts my personal field aura...

I also knock out street lights just by driving under them!...Not all people can do this! This phenomenon is well documented and govt studied!...its called "SLIDERS"...for Street Light Interferrence Disruptor of Electromagnetic Resonator Systems"...Dont believe me? Google it!

For a guy to have a productive Life, he must recognize and pay attention to the simple Laws of Nature! Like Nicolai Tesla did! :laughing: My dog has no such sense!...No consideration or knowledge of directional anal discharge consequences!....:laughing: I calculate he has dropped nearly 3.65 tons of Chow Hound grain based stool so far! 2lbs a day, 365 days per year X 10 yrs old...so yeah..thats a heap of dog dung I've picked up! Just something else for a Human to think about! :laughing: Lesson is, get a little dog like I did to save yourself some back trouble!

Who woulda thought one little dog could lay down so much poop? I pity you guys with Rottweilers! :laughing:

Great looking Dog Mud ! My three little yappers keep my backyard a mine field . All that poop scooping keeps me humble and alert !:yes:

Agreed! More importantly, mine seems to like an audience - on a walk, he will actively wait until he finds a spot where someone is outside and squat right there. And not just that, he’ll make sure he orients himself so that he’s staring right at that person while he’s pinching it off! He’s a pretty big dog, 85-90 pounds in his prime - less now that he’s older. But still, it’s like watching a small human poop in your yard! Not sure what kind of issue he’s got going on there, because otherwise he’s an absolute sweetheart :lol:

Back
Top Bottom