Disturbing info

Cladius

Elite Member
I was researching an area I want to hunt this weekend and came up against some hostility for the first time. It seems some slobs have takin to starting brush fires to clear underbrush so as to MD in this area! Needless to say I wasn't received well! My charming personality won the day and I made a freind but it really emarassed me to be associated with the types who would hurt our hobby so. Cladius. :mad:

Brush fires?? Now I've heard it all. What the @#$% are those guys thinking. Absolutley nothing, more than likely. Sorry you had to deal with that Claudius.

Cladius,

Pat yourself on the back for me. The only way people are going to get over the negative perception of detectorists is by positive experiences. While it would be human nature to speak negatively about people conducting such acts to the land owners, a completely positive attitude would be even better received. Your message to the land owner sounds as though it was 100% well received, but I wanted to throw this in just in case others find themselves in a similar situation.

I would respond to the landowner's information with an apology first and foremost. "I'm very sorry that happened to you. I'm not sure who the perpetrators were because it's not something any detectorist I know would do. Perhaps they didn't know the details of the land? I don't know. I would never do anything to harm anyone's land and my digs are left in such a way that they can barely be seen. It's a common practice among detectorists. Perhaps the people involved in your incident are new to the hobby and are unaware of unspoken rules. I understand it is unacceptable to cause destruction of property and would never intentionally cause anyone any harm."

Or something of the sort. Then I would try to determine the names of the people and seek them out. Let them know you heard of their acts and offer some help. Teach them proper. If they rudely dismiss you, at least you tried to correct the situation.

Just my 2 cents... for what it's worth.

I would not recommend seeking them out. People like that should be dealt with by the law, as I would think that setting fire to some ones land is against the law, not to mention dangerous to others. These "people" have no concern about the rights of others, they are criminals, and should be treated as such.
pop

Sounds like you handled the situation well Cladius. Sorry that the actions of others, who are always going to be present it seems, caused you problems.
Well said Snowy. We do have to be positive representitives of our hobby to make up for the actions of others who hurt the hobby. But I don't think I would try to explain the actions of those that did a criminal act. I would do my best to find out who they are and report that to the land owner to deal with them the way he sees fit.
On the other hand if we're talking about those MD'ers that leave trash and don't fill in their holes then I would try to find out who it is, if possible, and talk to them about the rules of ethics of MD'ing and how their actions hurt the hobby.
To make it short and to the point, we need to deal with each situation and our actions should be dictated by the severity of the offence of others.
Just my slant on it.

The big problem is, it's these people who make the headlines. We suffer from similar low-life in the UK. People who are not detectorists in the true sense of the word, but criminals armed with metal detectors. :mad:
Trouble is, to the general public and archaeologists, they are one and the same. :(

How moronic can they get? (Don't hafta answer that. The obvious answer is... "VERY")
It's people like that that show everyone jus' how far in the future they can see, not to mention the ramafications that effect all of us and the future of metal-detecting.
I think I'd (like Gomer Pile did to Barney) make a citizen's arrest!

Never mind the citizen arrest episode; I think the back behind the wood shed episode would work a whole lot better for those @#$## people Krom. Commit an act of arson in order to ease you relic stealing :mad: just burns my detectors backside!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Good one, Glenny...! Heck, both wouldn't be sufficient enough! :yes:

If I ever do come accross anyone pulling this kind of a stunt I will get their names, car plate number, or what ever and turn them in and be a whitness for prossecuting them. I used to tell my students when I taught scuba that if I ever caught one of them going into a lobster pot I would turn them in myself! That goes for any other slob who threatens my hobbies and good name. Cladius.

It's a sad world we live in. In Oklahoma and Texas you can shoot arsonists (at night anyway). Not that I recommend going to that extreme :D I pity the idiot that tries to start a fire in Oklahoma right now.

Almost forgot to mention,I have been invited back to go deer hunting. :yes: I hope this leads to other freinds in the area. Cladius.

Cladius I commend you on this. And I also agree that confronting them might not be the best thing to do. The best is to just get what ever info you can on these people and turn them in. Show the property owners out there that there really are MD'ers that care for private propery, and will go the extra mile to protect it. Thats what will save this hobby for us. :yes:

These guys won't be reasoned with they are after artifacts to sell to collecters and tourests and are very shady! I have run into their type up there before raping the urchin and scallop beds. Only understand the law (if they get caught) but people only see or hear of the MDer's, divers,fishermen who are slobs and make the rest of us look bad, and cause folks to not want to give you a chance. There are bad apples in every hobby, sport. Too bad. Cladius.

Your absolutely right Cadius. Bad apples do happen in all hobbies, and sports. Thats one reason you can't ride four wheelers except on designated trails up here. A few "bad apples" tore up the countryside, and now it is hurting everyone. :mad:

turn them in

nuts like that could kill someone and hurt the wildlife. :mad:

Vandals

Today My son and I were metal detecting in a local park with a rodeo arena,found numerous unfilled holes.
They had thrown the chopped cans onto a concret slab and made no effort to pick up trash.
Totals for the day?1 nickel 3 pennies ,a garbage bag of plastic trash and near stroke when a police car pulled Up.
turns out He,d seen me in another area park picking up trash and was curious about what I was finding.
Would like to write an editorial for the local newspaper but Such morons probably can,t read anyway.

Back
Top Bottom