Metal Detecting Book

Korban

So i read the book. Metal Detecting for fun and Profit, by Garret. Wow, it was absolutly terrible. It was written about to the same standards as the articles in Lost Treasure Magazine. I have faith in the garret metal detectors but i can honestly say that i will not be reading anymore of his books. It was beyond cheesy and repeated the same points in the book over and over.

Anyone know of any books that are good?

A few books published by White's (or at least sponsoring White's) are pretty good. Don't remember the authors off top of my head, but can find out later. Some folks must have read the ones I am talking about

I am reading Successful Coin Hunting by Garrett. It is not as good as I had hoped but I can say it is of a higher quality than Lost Treasure!

There is good information in this book, most of which can be learned here in the forum although he will go into slightly more detail. It is a good beginner book.

Arguably, one of the best general books is the metal detecting book, DETECTORIST by Robert H. Sickler. It is loaded with great information and invaluable to a person that recently joined the hobby. Although it may be carried by some MD stores, you can also buy it direct at:

http://www.rhsdesign.com/detectorist/booksales.htm

Take a look at the above web site and get an idea of the kind of things the book covers. ;)

In my opinion, the absolute best informational reading in regards to MD'ing is right here on the forum. I have read a lot of books on MD'ing, and I have learned more from this site than all the books out there. You can read a sentence five times, and not understand what the intent is, but here, you can read it once, and if you don't understand, someone will be able to explain it to you. A book can't. ;)

In my opinion, the absolute best informational reading in regards to MD'ing is right here on the forum. I have read a lot of books on MD'ing, and I have learned more from this site than all the books out there. You can read a sentence five times, and not understand what the intent is, but here, you can read it once, and if you don't understand, someone will be able to explain it to you. A book can't.

I couldnt agree more! There is no topic in any book that is not at least touched upon here. The collective experience in the forum also far outweighs the publishers of these books as well!

Being a newbi i have bourght several of Garetts books they all repeat them selves you need only buy one the others are a waste in my opinion also rought an ace 250 love the machine but the manuel leaves alot to be desired not enough info

Just my opinion

I grew up ( detecting wise ) on Karl Von Mueller's books. He basically started it all. He writes very in depth things about how to think and do . He also wrote under the name Dean Miller. I have read most of the books mentioned here and they dont even come close. Steve in so az

All,
I don't disagree that the forum is the one-stop-shop for all-around information on metal detecting, but I have read some good books in the last few months and Garrett's are not up to snuff, in my opinion, either.
For coinshooting, I like Dick Stout's book, "Coin Hunting. . . in Depth" the very best.  A bit dated on the tech side, but timeless in "where" to hunt issues. Author Sickler is also very good, as suggested.

Haven't read enough variety on nuggethunting to comment on available books.

JoeHill3
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ML Eureka Gold
VibroProbe 560
Gray Ghost Orig.

MDing since April, 2006

Treasure Hunter's Manual #6 and #7 by Karl Von Mueller not about coin hunting but cache hunting and thinking about things from the treasure hunters point of view. Gives you a whole new outlook on finding buried stuff. A must read.... but very difficult to find, like silver :lol:

I thought "Treasure Caches Can Be Found" by Garrett was pretty good. None of his books are what I would call great reading, but they do provide a lot of basic information, and I did learn a few things from them.

Base upon the feedback earlier on this thread, I ordered "Detectorist" two days ago.

It arrived yesterday, and after dinner I sat down with it. I read it cover to cover in about 3 hours. My findings / opinions are as follows.

In general it is a good book with a lot of tips and info especially if you are new to the hobby. It is a little outdated as far as the advancement in detectors in the last several years. I did pick up on some worthwhile info, as I don't consider myself a metal detecting "master", but I have advanced quicker than most, as I have a thirst for knowledge especially if I enjoy the subject. I would recommend it as an addition to any detectorist's library, as it has value for later reference. There was an interesting section on coin cleaning, and a couple of tips that were new to me. I also gained a few different ideas on research.
I will concur that this forum has by far been my best source of info over time, and will probably continue as such. For all of you new to the hobby...........Stay Tuned!!!! :yes:

Rudy said:
Arguably, one of the best general books is the metal detecting book, DETECTORIST by Robert H. Sickler.  It is loaded with great information and invaluable to a person that recently joined the hobby. Although it may be carried by some MD stores, you can also buy it direct at:

http://www.rhsdesign.com/detectorist/booksales.htm

Take a look at the above web site and get an idea of the kind of things the book covers. ;)
I agree with Rudy, great book and worth reading.

DirtDigger

Anyone out there have any suggestions about obtaining a copy of the Detectorist by Sickler in Canada, The publisher will not ship internationally..Thanks

I purchased my copy thru Amazon, and had it 48 hours later from a 3rd party in New York. $ 23.50. TonyinCt also handles the book, he is a forum supporter.

WThesing said:
I purchased my copy thru Amazon, and had it 48 hours later from a 3rd party in New York. $ 23.50. TonyinCt also handles the book, he is a forum supporter.

Thanks for the info. WThesing........I ordered a new copy of The Urban
Treasure Hunter
from Amazon.com on Sunday, June 11, and received
it the following Wednesday, June 14 (Standard shipping).  The book was
$12.32 + 3.99 S&H = $16.31 total.  The packaging was excellent BTW.

I'm on page 35 and so far very satisfied with the information presented.

Hi there! Greetings from South Africa. I am the newest newby in the world (I'm still waiting for my Garrett Ace 250).
Regarding your enquiry for good TH books, I can highly recommend "100 Must Know Tips and Secrets for Treasure Hunters". It is available free in PDF format from : www.losttreasureusa.com.
Happy hunting!

WThesing said:

Thanks for the help and reply of others, appreciate this forum and ability to info through it...Old Guy

Back
Top Bottom