Japan @ Tokyo to Yokosuka

wolf-n-wa

Forum Supporter
Posted this in the Japan social group but trying here as well. Looking for someone to hunt with but wanting to get out in the woods or farm fields. Have done a lot of beach hunting. Anybody here have any suggestions? I do not speak Japanese so kinda hard asking permission. Thanks in advance. Wolf

That's a tough one Wolf. You may want to try using Google Translate. I used it in Korea and it works really well. Good luck.

Hi there! I detect here in Japan, but Okinawa is pretty far from Yokosuka so even though I do speak enough Japanese to ask for permissions I can't really help you out in person. Got a possible suggestion, though.

If you happen to be US military (not many westerners know of Yokosuka unless they're military) then maybe your base has a translation service? I'm not actually military myself, but I listen to AFN radio here sometimes and I've heard such a thing mentioned.

If you have access such a service, it might be helpful to write out a polite, generic request ("Hi, I'm a hobbyist looking for X type of things with my metal detector. With your permission, I'd like to detect on your land. I promise to be respectful of your property and not leave any holes or trash. May I detect on your land?" or something to that effect) and then have it translated into a document that you can copy and show to a landowner whose property you'd like to detect on.

That way you only have to learn a few phrases (sumimasen-- pardon me, onegaishitai koto ga arimasu-- I would like to ask you something, etc) rather than attempt to converse about your hobby in a language you don't know.

I would offer to translate a letter like that for you, but my Japanese is pretty coarse and if you're making an unusual request like this (since detecting is not a common hobby in Japan it is unusual) you'll want to do it as politely as possible.

As for whether you will be given permission...i have no idea. I just work beaches, which are more or less public domain. Detecting on land in Okinawa is a bit risky. Developed land has to be scoured for UXOs before it can be built upon, so there's little of historical or monetary value to be found there (aside from recent stuff), and undeveloped land...well...they called it the Typhoon of Steel for a reason. There's all kinds of gnarly stuff out there. I geocache out in the jungles and have found some scary stuff-- no detector needed.

But yeah, if you're very polite and have either a written request or a local friend to help you ask, you may well be able to get permission to do some interesting hunts on the mainland.

Depends on where

I normally like to beach hunt as it is on public land. Land hunting might be good depending on where you want to go. Private, Temple, Shrine property? Language might not be the only issue : Locals Only.... I have lived here over 25 years.

I normally like to beach hunt as it is on public land. Land hunting might be good depending on where you want to go. Private, Temple, Shrine property? Language might not be the only issue : Locals Only.... I have lived here over 25 years.

Good point! Yeah-- there are a lot of places I would never dare ask about detecting permission in Japan. I know registered historical sites are definitely off limits (castle grounds, shrines, temples, etc.).

The Japanese don't teach English to their children in school? I think the Chinese are teaching English in their schools, and with US culture so globally available on internet and satellite, I would think that the Japanese would make English mandatory in their schools. No?

English language in Japan & Time to "Localize"

English is taught in schools here. A lot of people speak and communicate in English. I think that people will need a very good familiarity with the intent of wanting to go on their land with a metal detector. A "Locals Only" familiarity with the property owner might take numerous visits and explanations of exactly the intent of the search. It gets down to : Is the time invested with the property owner worth it if the benefit is unknown? If there is a known target that can searched for and found, then it might be a lot easier to get that permission.
Major historical battle site... Trunk road of historical government officials...etc

Hi there! I detect here in Japan, but Okinawa is pretty far from Yokosuka so even though I do speak enough Japanese to ask for permissions I can't really help you out in person. Got a possible suggestion, though.

If you happen to be US military (not many westerners know of Yokosuka unless they're military) then maybe your base has a translation service? I'm not actually military myself, but I listen to AFN radio here sometimes and I've heard such a thing mentioned.

If you have access such a service, it might be helpful to write out a polite, generic request ("Hi, I'm a hobbyist looking for X type of things with my metal detector. With your permission, I'd like to detect on your land. I promise to be respectful of your property and not leave any holes or trash. May I detect on your land?" or something to that effect) and then have it translated into a document that you can copy and show to a landowner whose property you'd like to detect on.

That way you only have to learn a few phrases (sumimasen-- pardon me, onegaishitai koto ga arimasu-- I would like to ask you something, etc) rather than attempt to converse about your hobby in a language you don't know.

I would offer to translate a letter like that for you, but my Japanese is pretty coarse and if you're making an unusual request like this (since detecting is not a common hobby in Japan it is unusual) you'll want to do it as politely as possible.

As for whether you will be given permission...i have no idea. I just work beaches, which are more or less public domain. Detecting on land in Okinawa is a bit risky. Developed land has to be scoured for UXOs before it can be built upon, so there's little of historical or monetary value to be found there (aside from recent stuff), and undeveloped land...well...they called it the Typhoon of Steel for a reason. There's all kinds of gnarly stuff out there. I geocache out in the jungles and have found some scary stuff-- no detector needed.

But yeah, if you're very polite and have either a written request or a local friend to help you ask, you may well be able to get permission to do some interesting hunts on the mainland.

Awesome! Thanks for the info. Much appreciated sir. Wolf

Back
Top Bottom