sidewalks

spudqueen

or the area between the sidewalk and the curb or street. It is usually grassy and probably a homeowner would consider it to be part of their lawn. I think I would. I have seen the Whites Treasure Hunting America episodes where people are detecting and digging in these areas. Is this something anyone can do or is the law different from state to state or town to town??? I have been curious about this for a while now. Although I think I would be a little shy to do it anyway. Thanks for any input.

i hunted them big time in Illinois, Even tho the homeowner may mow the strip and such. Its city property. Very few property owners complained, but of course each jurusdiction may be different, but they are great places to search.....

Each jurisdiction is different. Where I live it's considered city property but most homeowners don't realize that so I ask for permission anyway.

HH

Zinc

ZincLord said:
Each jurisdiction is different. Where I live it's considered city property but most homeowners don't realize that so I ask for permission anyway.

Same here. In fact I'm hoping to do some sidewalk searching tomorrow. I found an 18k gold ring between the sidewalk and curb early this year :grin:

I found a 1921 Peace silver in Harisburg, Il. Just never know whats there. Lots of keys. A few rings. But a boatload of coins.

thanks for the replies. I may give it a try. Definitely going to have to work on my plug and flap digging skills first. I dug a few in my yard the 'smornin and they look a little rough.

Well, it sounds like a good place to hunt, but I'm not going to try it. Up here in ultra liberal New England, all you need to do is dig a hole in front of the wrong persons house, and before you know - No digging on city property! I have no problem digging there if they're doing a sidewalk tear up project or something, but not an area where the homeowner takes care of the grass. Even if I can legally I can, I don't think I'll push it, unless I have permission from the homeowner. Just my opinion, I'm sure people are much more understanding in other parts of the country.

yes, I think I will probably be a little choosy about the area if I do try it, maybe a street that isn't maintained as well, or perhaps if I know the person who lives there, then maybe I will ask. So is there a website I can go to that shows how to dig a plug the right way. My own yard is very hard compacted and it was a real struggle.

I know here in my area, Iowa, its technically city property, but you have to maintain it. I would say go for it, But I know how some peoples yards are immaculate, so they might not appreciate it. smg

if the strip is immacuately maintained, just pass it by. And dont forget to sweep around the mud and muck around storm drains that build up.

We don't have many sidewalks like this in the neighborhood I live in here in Boston, but I bet they are great to hunt (you figure people must drop a lot of coins/keys etc. getting into and out of their cars).

If I did hunt one of these I would probably ask permission, just out of respect to the person living there. If the spot wasn't in front of a house, I would probably dig unless it was expressly prohibited. Great places to hunt I bet though.

My take on it is to ask permission. I've never been refused to search the sidewalk area.

Back
Top Bottom