False Signals Ace 250?

Tlawrence2782

I would get the silver $1 and quarter readings at 4-6 inches i would dig the holes and they would go away does this happen often? I have noticed that the area i was digging in had a bunch of iron ore rocks.

what sensitivity are you running? I almost always ran with 3 or 4 bars...this will help. also fasten your coil wire to the shaft, this will also help prevent falsing issues from the wire while swinging.

Using default sens under all metal setting, ill get some electrical tape tomorrow and secure it better instead of wrapping it.

I have the exact same problem with my 250. I get a good solid $1 or any other coin mostly $1 and .50, .25 . Then after I dig a plug the signal is gone. Please help!!!!!

Oh to add I am on coIn setting and minus 2 bars on sensitivity.

I've ran into that with my new F2, I had a good signal that was deep,dug halfway to China & couldn't find anything,rescan the hole & the signal was gone.I was told it could be caused by an old piece of Iron that has totally disintegrated. I ran into that last week I dug the hole but I was able to see the rust colored soil in the hole where some iron had totally disintegrated. :digginahole:

I have the exact same problem with my 250. I get a good solid $1 or any other coin mostly $1 and .50, .25 . Then after I dig a plug the signal is gone. Please help!!!!!

Oh to add I am on coIn setting and minus 2 bars on sensitivity.

by minus two bars you mean from all the way up? that is probably too much, try knocking it all the way down to 3 or 4 bars from the bottom (or left) you may be able to increase in certain areas. I check the sens by swingingover "clean" ground with no metal, very quickly back and forth a few times with the coil about two inches off the ground...you should hear no falsing. set it up another notch, repeat until you hear the falsing...then back it off that one bar and you should be good. if it starts to false just notch it down again, but I would never go lower than 3 bars...you will lose too much depth.

I've ran into that with my new F2, I had a good signal that was deep,dug halfway to China & couldn't find anything,rescan the hole & the signal was gone.I was told it could be caused by an old piece of Iron that has totally disintegrated. I ran into that last week I dug the hole but I was able to see the rust colored soil in the hole where some iron had totally disintegrated. :digginahole:

I get that on these beach areas I'm hunting while the water is down for winter. There is usually 4 to 6 feet of water where I'm dinging.

Those rust clouds are annoying but hey, it happens. It's a good reminder to move fast and dig as many targets as possible in the time that you have.

iron will make an ace 250 signal way high and sometimes low too in the Iron range where it belongs. (nature of the machine)

Yeah I started doing that the other day, just digging anyting with a strong signal minus iron. i also have another instance that I do not understand. you get a signal one way and about 3-5 inches you get another signal going the other direction, then when you go to pin point it the object is inbetween the two signals. I have dug a couple times and pulled out mostly tabs and bottle caps and that type of stuff.

iron will make an ace 250 signal way high and sometimes low too in the Iron range where it belongs. (nature of the machine)

I found a big hunk of iron with my F2 yesterday that was giving me a good high signal, I had iron notched out. it was only 4-5" deep. I was surprised to find the big hunk of solid iron. :digginahole:

the other trick to weed out some common trash you dig...
if I get a nice signal say in the .10 range I check it from 90 degrees still good...so I and hold pinpoint , if I move the coil back and forth over the target in pinpoint mode and I get just a short "blip" I then lift up while still in Pinpoint mode, if the target dissapears as soon as I lift I know the object is small and I dig.
An aluminum can or other big aluminum junk will sound great in that .10 range , but while in pinpoint will have a long tone left to right and stays with you for about 4" while lifting.
Now Rusty iron(nails ,ect...) will ring up between .25 and 1.00 and it will sound great. repeat the 90deg swing and the pinpoint method above...short "blip" I dig. Iron has such a strong signal that by holding in pinpoint you can tell how big an object is.
the depth reading can be off also, a piece of rusty iron or aluminum can be only a few inches below the suface and it will read 6" to 8" deep...I found that the depth is alot more acurate while holding pinpoint..then it may say 1" to 2"

hope this helps..I found alot of great stuff last year with my ACE250.
and yes you will still dig some trash, but you will see that the amount will start to get smaller.
I am still digging rusty nails with my E-trac..it's just the nature of the beast. if there was a MD that would only pick out Good targets then everyone would own that brand.

HH

Signals

I would get the silver $1 and quarter readings at 4-6 inches i would dig the holes and they would go away does this happen often? I have noticed that the area i was digging in had a bunch of iron ore rocks.

Carefull your shoes are not made with metal. Ive gotten some pretty good signals from shoes.:roll:

pratice it takes time w ur machine i to have a ace 250 and already have some nice coinage under my belt just be patient with it ,,,i said i want a upgrade after digging 10 xs more holes then my friends etrac but i will in time now i just learn and listen happy hunting:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

So I will pretty much find out after I dig the plug if it is iron or a beautiful walking lady?

if the target is a silver coin, the signal will likely show as silver when you swing over it from any direction. if it's a blob of rust and iron particles or even an old rusty nail, the signal will likely jump around when you swing over it from the different angles.
as for those one signal one way and another from another direction, well.... that could be a trashy target, it could be 2 different items side by side in the ground.

i generally run my 250 at 6 on the sensitivity. if i'm getting false signals from minerals, i'll lower the sens until the falsing stops. if i'm in a good clean, nail-free area, i'll even run it as high as 8. in really trashy places, down to 3. it all depends on where i am and what the actual ground conditions are like.

one thing you should be listening for are consistent signals. i don't necessarily mean iron, lol. but anything else that stays consistent from any angle is something you should be digging. :D
one way signals can be a bit tricky. it's usually something trashy, but not always. i took dug a one way signal that i was going to ignore and it turned out to be a 1927 nickle. the coin was on it's edge in the ground, it gave a one way signal and at 90 degrees, it didn't even show up on the detector. i pinpointed and dug it anyway and i wasn't disappointed. :D

Pete

if the target is a silver coin, the signal will likely show as silver when you swing over it from any direction. if it's a blob of rust and iron particles or even an old rusty nail, the signal will likely jump around when you swing over it from the different angles.
as for those one signal one way and another from another direction, well.... that could be a trashy target, it could be 2 different items side by side in the ground.

i generally run my 250 at 6 on the sensitivity. if i'm getting false signals from minerals, i'll lower the sens until the falsing stops. if i'm in a good clean, nail-free area, i'll even run it as high as 8. in really trashy places, down to 3. it all depends on where i am and what the actual ground conditions are like.

one thing you should be listening for are consistent signals. i don't necessarily mean iron, lol. but anything else that stays consistent from any angle is something you should be digging. :D
one way signals can be a bit tricky. it's usually something trashy, but not always.

i took dug a one way signal that i was going to ignore and it turned out to be a 1927 nickle. the coin was on it's edge in the ground, it gave a one way signal and at 90 degrees, it didn't even show up on the detector. i pinpointed and dug it anyway and i wasn't disappointed. :D

Pete

I snagged a 1936 buffalo nickel the same way.

You can't win if you don't play!! .:cool:

Usually only solid and repeating signals , repeating as the same thing with each swing and from different directions are what the machine says it is. I used to get fooled by this too , I heard a good signal and then looked at the screen and seen dollar or quarter , etc. and jumped right in to dig it up. I have since learned that it must be solid and repeating and as the same target ID each time or I usually ignore it and keep going. If your target bounces around from one thing to the next and then back again , its almost always not what you think it is.

Something else to watch is how long the target ID stays lit up , on a good target it will hang there for a second or two but on a bad one , it disappears almost instantly , no matter what its telling you it is.

I only run the sensitivity on 4-5 bars.. I noticed when going all the way makes if false with anything I touch.

one way signals can be a bit tricky. it's usually something trashy, but not always. i took dug a one way signal that i was going to ignore and it turned out to be a 1927 nickle. the coin was on it's edge in the ground, it gave a one way signal and at 90 degrees, it didn't even show up on the detector. i pinpointed and dug it anyway and i wasn't disappointed. :D

Pete
I'm new to MDing, this is good to know, I've ran into the oneway signals but I've been passing them up because I couldnt repeat it from other directions.I'll have to go back & dig them,thanks.
:digginahole:

Back
Top Bottom