General question regarding Iron / foil

adiroit

I typically discriminate those out of my detector when I go out..

My yard is a couple acres, and since I am new to the hobby, I just wandered around randomly digging up signals (minus those 2). Could it be worth leaving them on? My stepdad told me how they did a lot of work on the garage / house, so if I am ANYWHERE even close to that.. odds are I'll find a lot of nails.

Just curious if there's ever any good finds with the iron setting.

(I found 3 silvers in my yard the first weekend I had the machine.. a bracelet / necklace / ring, but then I had to come up to college). Since then I got a propointer and a lesche, so I no longer dig holes that look like landmines went off

I disc out iron because my soil is iron rich and have found some cool stuff around the foil reading. However nails for me ring up in zinc/dime so theres no way to disc them out unless I miss targets.

I dig every signal because you never know what your passing up especially in your backyard because you can always go back and search more.

Close to zero here......

I've notched out the first 3 or 4 bars on my GTI. This is my custom setting. Then I just use the last mode to jump to zero disc.. Any fairly large iron items break through. I dig 95% - 98% of signals depending on where I am.
As far as "good" finds in the iron range ? Cool old hinges, tools, axe heads, horse shoes, etc.. Quite a few old time farming tools.
Good luck !
Marty

Don't know about iron, but thin women's gold rings can be in the foil range.

Can I ask how that logically makes sense?

Like I know mens rings can ring up under pulltab, so I'm not doubting what you say. I just am curious the "true reasoning" behind the awesome gold rings, ringing up as such awkward readings?

I am a college kid, so I'll mention how some gold rings can ring up as pull-tabs.. and friends of mine will ask.. how does that make sense? ..and I don't know how to respond haha

My wedding band rings up as pull tab on the m6, It rings up at 52 on my AT. When i first started water hunting i didn't scoop anything below 55,56 WONDER HOW MANY RINGS I LEFT BEHIND:?:

Can I ask how that logically makes sense?

Like I know mens rings can ring up under pulltab, so I'm not doubting what you say. I just am curious the "true reasoning" behind the awesome gold rings, ringing up as such awkward readings?

I am a college kid, so I'll mention how some gold rings can ring up as pull-tabs.. and friends of mine will ask.. how does that make sense? ..and I don't know how to respond haha

It is a matter of conductivity. they have a similar conductive range.

Another reminder that I have to start digging EVERYTHING if I ever hope to uncover some good finds.... :roll:

My wedding band rings up as pull tab on the m6, It rings up at 52 on my AT. When i first started water hunting i didn't scoop anything below 55,56 WONDER HOW MANY RINGS I LEFT BEHIND:?:

Back
Top Bottom