Is it a bullet? Pics with ruler

All chain links are formed and welded. Every link has an opening that was welded fast electronically without adding material to weld it shut. It would not be difficult to form a chain link to enclose the knob before welding the link shut.

Thanks for sharing that, (you learn all kinds of stuff here !)

I was originally thinking it might have been something older before that technology, but now that I think about it, sliding chain locks like that probably were not first made till sometime in the 1900's.

Last edited:
Cleaned up-New Pics

Hope this helps

Attachments

• 20170323_004536-1.jpg
    20170323_004536-1.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 20170323_004638-1.jpg
    20170323_004638-1.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 20170323_004628-1.jpg
    20170323_004628-1.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 81
If it was a valve part wouldn't it need a hole in one side or the other? I dont know much about them but that seems to make sense.

The way it's contoured leads me to believe it was made to be grasped with your fingers.
On a funny note...leave something for the kids to find. :)
Maybe do a little seeding.

If it was a valve part wouldn't it need a hole in one side or the other? I dont know much about them but that seems to make sense.

Good point, it would seem that the flat end would need to be attached to something for it to be a valve part, at least that's how it seems unless it was just pushed down without being attached. (you can tell valves are not my area of expertise :lol: )

I still believe it's from a chain lock. The way it's made gives me a clue. The bottom groove is large and deep with square corners in the bottom of the groove. IMO they made it that way to serve a purpose ... like sliding between two rails. I'm not an expert on bullets but everyone I've ever seen has round bottom grooves, like for lube. This one has a large, round bottom groove in the center where the last link of the chain would wrap around. The two shallow, round bottom grooves (IMO) are for gripping and decoration. I have one similar to it on my basement door that is close enough to make me think that's what this thing is.

I still believe it's from a chain lock. The way it's made gives me a clue. The bottom groove is large and deep with square corners in the bottom of the groove. IMO they made it that way to serve a purpose ... like sliding between two rails. I'm not an expert on bullets but everyone I've ever seen has round bottom grooves, like for lube. This one has a large, round bottom groove in the center where the last link of the chain would wrap around. The two shallow, round bottom grooves (IMO) are for gripping and decoration. I have one similar to it on my basement door that is close enough to make me think that's what this thing is.

I agree you might have the most likely idea considering everything overall.

It has been educating and interesting trying to figure it out though :lol:

Back
Top Bottom