Magnet Fishing Question

Sasquatch39

Ive watched saome videos by NuggetNoggin and Aquachigger where they have a magnet attached to either a pick axe or something like it. Has anyone ever made one using a good thick piece of wood like and axe handle?

Not a bad idea, but by using the pick axe, if something won't come loose or you need to move some rocks, the pick will come in handy. Lowes sells some inexpensive sturdy enough mini pick axes for around 15 bucks, and about the same cost or less for the magnet at harbor freight.

Ive watched saome videos by NuggetNoggin and Aquachigger where they have a magnet attached to either a pick axe or something like it. Has anyone ever made one using a good thick piece of wood like and axe handle?

I used an old axe handle and an old magnet I had laying around. The magnet has a hole in the middle that is perfect for a screw so I glued and screwed it to the handle. Works good for light weight metal. I need a stronger magnet though. I also have one mounted to an old hammer handle (wooden) that I have a lanyard tied to that I use when I am diving. I use this one for crevices that I can not get my hand into or dig out.

You can buy one already made down at the building supply place...wood handle @3' long with a round magnet the size of a hockey puck mounted on the end. Construction guys use them to pick up errant nails, thats what I used it for when I worked construction...Anyway, I've had one for years that lives out in the corner of the garage....It looks like a short little magnetty golf club....In our family, for some strange reason, we call this tool a 'Pud'.

I dont know why, its not the technical name of this tool, but everytime somebody loses something like a steel nut, bolt or screw out in the yard, or pins on the carpet, or the like, Ol' Pud is employed for that duty....Its funny!..the Wife drops a small metallic item, She is crawling around on her hands and knees in the living room or out in the yard, and then hollers, "I need Pud!" :laughing:
Mud

I musta come up with the name for this tool sometime long ago...I think I told her 'PUD' stands for "Pick Up Device":laughing: I bet if you ask for a 'Mag Wand Nail picker upper' down at the building supply place and they will know what you are talking about...dont ask for a Pud though, they may send you down to Bed Bath and Beyond ...

Back
Top Bottom