Need a good starter detector for cheap

Pluff mud

Hi guys
I am a relative newbie to metal detecting. I had an el cheapo bounty hunter that i won online, but its now broken. Even before it was broken, it was worthless half the time, especially if I tried to take it anywhere near the ocean...

I recently moved to a pretty awesome spot (portsmouth RI) to hunt and would like to buy a decent detector. My needs aren't that much- pretty much I'd be doing a lot of artifact hunting but occasionally bringing it to the beach. Is it possible to buy a used detector for around a 100 bucks that accomplishes this, or is that unreasonable?

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Hey stinger, thanks for the quick reply...whats a ballpark figure for a used detector that can hunt saltwater?

Ok, sounds like wet sand is out for what I can afford. That stinks...just out of curiosity, for you guys who beach hunt, what percent of your good finds come from wet sand?

Actually, I think most gold rings are found where there are less pulltabs, as in waist deep water that shrivels fingers so the rings slide off. As for beaches, if a young mom w/purse on her or in vehicl is walking with 3 year old, are either of them even likely to lose a penny, let alone something better?

Big parks or schoolyards that have concession stands or vending machines may be a good source of quarters. Girls soccer fields may have sterling silver rings that they set on the sidelines.

Ocean beaches could have big waves, so being on beach can be risky for a detector that isn't fully waterproof. For land hunting, anything is better than nothing, & on the average recent models will do better at discrimination & separation, but all the good models are about $200+ new. If you don't mind digging just about everything then good discrimination isn't needed & a $100 used detector might do. HH, George (MN)

the tesoro compadre has no visual display but excellent discrimination. like others said, use on dry sand. If wanting to go into wet sand ankle deep water you're looking at $200+. whites coinmaster series should get you near the wet stuff. most coils are waterproof but not the control boxes. I use my 1980's era 4900 near and in the wet stuff (not to deep) with not to much trouble. No display either but good discrimination and search modes and manual GB features.

after you have one in mind, see some of them in use on youtube. see if you like how they behave and sound, yes they have different sounds that may annoy you.

Man, you guys are awesome with the help...I'm googling away my spare time now searching reviews of recommended models!

Amazon has a combo deal where you get a bounty hunter quick draw 2+pinpointer+Cary bag for $162 and the reviews were good on the quick draw 2

Back
Top Bottom