Night hunting beach/see

Acquisitor

hi,

I'm going to Spain this Saturday to an area where metal detecting by tourists is tolerated as long as we tourists remain at beaches and dont go deep into the land.

However, I decided hunt from 9 PM to 6 AM so I would not attract too much unwanted attention from tourists and the police.

I have never hunted at night, is there anything special about it ? Im going to hunt along an endless line of hotels with no locals (which is good) and likely sufficient light. However, is there a need for a flushlight just in case ? or anything else ?

I'm going to Salou btw, FYI.

Never been to Spain to hunt, but I'll offer my $0.02 for what it's worth.

1) If you are determined to hunt at night, get yourself a headlamp - they run anywhere from ~$20-$100+. Try one out and get one that's bright or one that's rated to be very bright. It alllows you to keep both hands free.

2) Personally I would be uncomfortable hunting anywhere I'm not familiar with during the hours of say 11pm - sunrise. With headphones on it's too easy for someone to sneak up on you - could be a thief, could be a drunk, could be a nutcase.

I hunt those hours on my "home turf," but I know the area pretty well and I have protection with me in case I need it - and not just a long handled metal scoop.

I'd seriously consider just hunting from an hour or two before sunset to maybe 10pm and then set your alarm and get up around sunrise.

Just my $0.02

To elaborate on Cubfans advice, and I'm sure this is implied in his post but:

On the head lamp, I use mine only when recovering a target. I don't run around the beach looking like a drunk train. Attracts too much attention.

I love night hunting but do it in areas that I know and, like cubfan, I'm well protected with my head on a swivel.

Coolwhips :cool:

I was thinking about security too, but I dont think its an issue, its a place with many many hotes in one singe line and nothing behind them, so all the nutcases and such should not be there, instead they should be in the city where its heaven for them since there are 1000's of tourists there. + Im a biiiig man and can defend myself, my scoop weights about 9 lpb too ;)

Use a head lamp. I personally use one that attaches to my hat brim.

Make sure you have a scoop with small holes. I lined the bottom inside of my scoop with wire mesh. If you think chasing small targets in the daytime is hard wait until night. Plus I'm 49 and my eyes are shot.

Be careful in the water if you are going in. Personally the water at night scares me. What is in the water at night scares me. Nothing deeper than the knee for me.

Wear foot protection. You won't see anything sharp. I wear diver's boots.

Take along a bottle of water.

Get either a headlamp or a baseball hat with built in led lights in the brim, they work great! I only turn mine on when recovering a target from the scoop, the rest of the time i hunt in the dark...
Have fun!

I'm not easily scared to go into water, I'm not easily scared by anything actually. Going into water wont be possible since there are very high waves there, so I will be forced to limit myself to the weak shallow area with the waves hitting not higher than my knees. Gonna be hard to grab the targets but I have a scoop with a diameter of almost 1ft ;) its a monster for a strong man.

Wal*Marts have a nice selection of LED headlamps in the $10.00 price range, both clip on and headband type. They are normally in the hunting or fishing section of the sporting goods dept. At that price, I would carry a spare going to a foreign country in case you drop one in the water.

I hunt at night all the time without a flash light. I have a tesoro vaquero I don`t need to see a screen. Your eyes will adjust enough to see . You are going to a foreign country though . I hunt in my home town. Good Luck be safe

hi,

I'm going to Spain this Saturday to an area where metal detecting by tourists is tolerated as long as we tourists remain at beaches and dont go deep into the land.

However, I decided hunt from 9 PM to 6 AM so I would not attract too much unwanted attention from tourists and the police.

I have never hunted at night, is there anything special about it ? Im going to hunt along an endless line of hotels with no locals (which is good) and likely sufficient light. However, is there a need for a flushlight just in case ? or anything else ?

I'm going to Salou btw, FYI.

I was told/read years back that MD'ing wasn't allow there, Don't know how true that is, But, You mention they tolerate tourists detecting there, But you're hoping not to be seen by the police? Do you really want to draw attention? You might be pushing it to far...be careful. g/l

Takes about 30min for your eyes to adjust to the low light level then it's easy to hunt without a light. Using a small red led light works well to check your finds and preserves your night vision, with all the hotels around there should be more than enough light to hunt with even on a moonless night. Ran into a biker gang at 2am in Japan that is notorious for beating up foreigners, had to walk near them to get to my car, all eyes were on my large scoop which I made very easy for them to see :yes: and the only words the leader said was "what the?" :lol: and let me past.
Good luck with your Spain hunts.

Good luck and be safe - it helps to be a big guy weilding a large metal scoop.

I was told/read years back that MD'ing wasn't allow there, Don't know how true that is, But, You mention they tolerate tourists detecting there, But you're hoping not to be seen by the police? Do you really want to draw attention? You might be pushing it to far...be careful. g/l

the area I'm going to is a place where its "tolerated", not encouraged but tolerated. (in some areas of Spain its prohibited but not where I'm going to). In fact, a friend of mine is there at this very moment and has come across a few MD'ers already. Its advisable not to do it in daylight where the police may interfeer based on "you are disturbing the others" thats why I will be doing it by night/evening/early morning.

Also, MDing inside the country is prohibited indeed but on the coastline its tolerated to please the tourists.
I'm also from Europe btw. (northern europe)

Salou.jpg

this is the area I'm going to, its a line of hotels, full with russians (which is good since russians love gold and their women are known to wear diamond jewelry anywhere they go, while their men love wearing heavy chains).
all the buildings on the pic are hotels.

the area I'm going to is a place where its "tolerated", not encouraged but tolerated. (in some areas of Spain its prohibited but not where I'm going to). In fact, a friend of mine is there at this very moment and has come across a few MD'ers already. Its advisable not to do it in daylight where the police may interfeer based on "you are disturbing the others" thats why I will be doing it by night/evening/early morning.

Also, MDing inside the country is prohibited indeed but on the coastline its tolerated to please the tourists.

Good to hear.....have fun and keep us posted.

I lived in Madrid for 2 years and I know that the police do not take kindly to any "relic" hunting on Spanish soil, in fact (as you stated) it is basically against the law. Beach hunting may be a different thing....also (since you live in Europe), know that tourists and locals are typically out until 3-6 AM partying:D so the beaches may not be as deserted as you would think.

Good luck and let us know the finds!

Paul

Beach hunting may be a different thing....also (since you live in Europe), know that tourists and locals are typically out until 3-6 AM partying so the beaches may not be as deserted as you would think.

oh, thats why there is a crisis in Spain ;) thanks for the info, but I doubt there will be locals in THAT particular part of Salou (look at the pic above, u can only see hotels)

18kRonin. scoop not only digs and weapon defense against dogs and "bikers".
backlight for night searching I've done and soon it can be bought and put on stavrscoop. I also use glow sticks for fishing float mounted in the center of the coil, and can use glow bracelets attached to the bottom scoop. Good luck!

Acquisitor. "Full with russians (which is good since russians love gold and their women are known to wear diamond jewelry anywhere they go, while their men love wearing heavy chains)." (C) - that we have a Russian custom of the Scythians with more ancient time ... :)

Back
Top Bottom