1949 Catholic school ring inside mark

Snowy

Forum Supporter
Went water hunting and snagged a few rings and a religious medal today. One of the rings was a 1949 Catholic school class ring. Silver. It was very tarnished but cleaned up nice. But what throws me is this mark inside. What kind of mark is this?

(Photo removed for privacy reasons)

Hey Donna, you and Joe are becoming quite the Water Hunters!:D:cool:

Last edited:
Hey Donna, you and Joe are becoming quite the Water Hunters!:D:cool:

Thanks everyone. I think I can find the owner of this one, but they'll be about 79 to 80 years old. We'll see... the local jeweler might know if I can get there some time while they're open. This being a 1949 ring, I'm willing to bet it was bought through that jeweler. The daughter runs it now. I figured some of you on here might know right off the top of your heads what the markings were.

Rudy, I'd say the "STR" stands for sterling.

Ron... I kicked his butt yesterday and it was turning not so funny. :lol: He didn't get ugly about it, I just started finding myself wishing him a ring when he'ds get a signal. I think I was thrown the term "poophead" several times yesterday. I was a good day off though. Can't WAIT for Sunday!

I get my own CZ-21 Saturday morning. He'll meet up with Rich while I'm working. Sunday we'll be out all day long. Not sure where we're going, but there's a section where we were that I showed him yesterday just before we left. We were working our way there and just got to the edge when I hit on a gold religious medal. He was shiverring so we left. I told him not to touch that area without me. We'll see.

Funny thing is Joe and a friend were in that same swimming hole last summer with an Excal and a Tiger Shark and they didn't find a thing. That's the luck of the draw, though. They just didn't get their coils over anything in there last year.

This class ring was my first hit yesterday. I was doing pretty decent. He did ok, too.

I just talked to the jeweler. She said the STR means it's sterling. She said to bring it in and she'd see if she can tell what the mark means, finish cleaning it (a little tarnish in nooks and crannies), and buff it up. I won't be able to get there until next week.

The religious school doesn't have a list of graduates from that year.

The religious school tried to stake claim on the ring. I didn't give any details on it, just that I thought it came from there because of the initials and the fact there was a cross on it. I remedied the situation with the church, though. It's a personal class ring and I simply wanted to try to locate the owner.

Nothing against churches Snowy, but if they tried that garbage with me I would throw it back in the ocean and tell them to go find it :D

Wow....nice find, but it is really upsetting that they tried to claim it. That is just not right. I agree with Craig on this one for sure. RickO

Yeah, it was an interesting conversation. They asked me three times, "Where did you say you found it?" The woman kept referring to the church's camp on a lake. My answer: "I didn't. I found it swimming."

It bothered me. They kept saying, "I wonder if it belongs to the parish."

"No. This is a personal class ring and I simply wanted to try to find the owner, who would be about 78 years old now."

Sheesh. Makes one not even want to try to return a ring. It's not like it's as valuable as the Holy Grail, but it's probably priceless to the person who lost it. The church should be more interested in trying to help instead of trying to find a way for it to be theirs.

Krom was able to take the ring to the jeweler for me yesterday while I was working. She said she knew someone who had gone to that school and was about 80 years old. She tried to call the person but there was no answer.

She inspected the inside mark and took our contact info. She is intrigued and wants to try to help.

Class Ring Lost & Found Website

I ran across this website several years ago and after reading your post checked it out. They have several lost rings for 1949; none appeared to me to be for the ring you found. Their dates go back to 1910 - :wow: You might find it helpful in the future.

http://www.classringfinder.com/Default.aspx

Back
Top Bottom