Two different pages of Georgia Metal Detecting laws. What is going on?

hellomikie92

http://georgiashpo.org/archaeology/artifact < this one is saying that I can metal detect on any GA public land except the state parks. This one is also saying I can metal detect on private property if I get written permission.

http://thesga.org/sga-in-depth/archaeology-and-georgias-laws/ < this one is saying that all GA public places are off limits to metal detecting. Are they referring to all public lands in Georgia including the towns and cities? Or just the Archaeological sites? They are also saying that I can metal detect on private property with written permission from the land owner, but I have to send the Department of human resources a letter within 5 business days. Again are the only talking about Archeological sites? If any of you can't help me thats okay. I just don't know who to believe, or what to follow. But if any of you can then thats great! Either way, thanks ahead of time.

I think that you might've read the page wrong. It says, in the first link, that detecting on state land is illegal. It says that detecting on private land is legal if it's not posted.

"3. It is not legal to surface collect, dig, or metal detect on state property. This includes Civil War sites. (OCGA 12-3-10(n), 12-3-52)"

I think that you might've read the page wrong. It says, in the first link, that detecting on state land is illegal. It says that detecting on private land is legal if it's not posted.

"3. It is not legal to surface collect, dig, or metal detect on state property. This includes Civil War sites. (OCGA 12-3-10(n), 12-3-52)"

I meant city and county, public places I didn't mean state public places.

The bottom link sounds like it is saying that, it is illegal to metal detect in public park, and public schools in every city and county in GA. That includes the non civil war sites. However, the top one is saying that it isn't. As well as the top one is saying you don't have to send a letter to the GA depart of human resources 5 days before you begin. The bottom one is saying that though.

What about the second link?

Why metal detect if all these people is going to do is restrict you!? Metal detecting isn't a threat, metal detecting isn't life threatening! Why create 2 pages of the metal detecting laws, and each of them are different?! Makes me mad!

It's getting tougher for us to hunt public property, heck, if you can, you're supposed to turn in historical finds.

Still, you'll have more fun and luck hunting private land.......

I've interpreted the rules as in the first post. State-owned parks are off-limits. Private property is off limits without permission. All other land is fair game.

I've been approached twice by cops here in Peachtree City public parks, the first just asked if everything was OK then was on his way. The second asked a lot more questions, but seeing as it was past dark in a public park I really shouldn't have been there but he left me alone also.

Just the other day I was in a public park in Smyrna on my lunch hour, a cop was parked in the parking lot for about 15 minutes, I'm sure he had to have seen me but didn't approach me.

I'm reading those three encounters as it's OK to MD public parks.

Hope that helps!

I've interpreted the rules as in the first post. State-owned parks are off-limits. Private property is off limits without permission. All other land is fair game.

I've been approached twice by cops here in Peachtree City public parks, the first just asked if everything was OK then was on his way. The second asked a lot more questions, but seeing as it was past dark in a public park I really shouldn't have been there but he left me alone also.

Just the other day I was in a public park in Smyrna on my lunch hour, a cop was parked in the parking lot for about 15 minutes, I'm sure he had to have seen me but didn't approach me.

I'm reading those three encounters as it's OK to MD public parks.

Hope that helps!

Don't read encounters with Police that don't act as it's OK. I read our city parks law and really it was gray, no mention of MD, but many rules on digging, harming property, etc. I know many that detect the city parks and say cops leave them alone. I emailed our Park's Director and he said MD was illegal in all city parks, but admitted it was a problem that was going to be further addressed. Not last week a friend of mine said he came to a park he hunted numerous times and to his shock a sign was posted...NO METAL DETECTING.....

For the most part hunters are left alone until someone calls and complains..

These over-the-top laws are partially the fault of the MDing community. The law helps those who help themselves, and MDers have never been willing to do that.
We need an organization that pays lawyers to negotiate with states on lawmaking. There is no other way.

Don't read encounters with Police that don't act as it's OK. I read our city parks law and really it was gray, no mention of MD, but many rules on digging, harming property, etc. I know many that detect the city parks and say cops leave them alone. I emailed our Park's Director and he said MD was illegal in all city parks, but admitted it was a problem that was going to be further addressed. Not last week a friend of mine said he came to a park he hunted numerous times and to his shock a sign was posted...NO METAL DETECTING.....

For the most part hunters are left alone until someone calls and complains..

The only city in Georgia that I know of that banned Metal detecting on public property is Roswell. Yes thats true. So far I have had no problems with any citizen, around here. Just only being watched by police.

Think you really need to read the laws careful, maybe get someone with legal experience to help you interpret it. It's like a foreign language, not really easy to know exactly what is being said. States don't own all the land within their borders, just certain specific areas, same goes for counties, and cities. I suppose all the land is owned or claimed by someone, but the laws pertain to areas of specific interests, historic landmarks, wildlife conservation, watersheds, office buildings... You really need to find the right person to ask, or look in the right places. If reading legal text was easy, we wouldn't need lawyers or politicians....

Well see you did it again... The first is from 2007 they have been changed and the second is old also...:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Keep finding old laws and believe them and we will keep hunting with no problems... I told you before.

Think you really need to read the laws careful, maybe get someone with legal experience to help you interpret it. It's like a foreign language, not really easy to know exactly what is being said. States don't own all the land within their borders, just certain specific areas, same goes for counties, and cities. I suppose all the land is owned or claimed by someone, but the laws pertain to areas of specific interests, historic landmarks, wildlife conservation, watersheds, office buildings... You really need to find the right person to ask, or look in the right places. If reading legal text was easy, we wouldn't need lawyers or politicians....

Hmmm good point.

Back
Top Bottom