Analyze my beach hunt please

Stunmi

Elite Member
Our East coast beaches are still heavily sanded in due to no storm activity this year. However, I have found a small section of beach that for whatever reason only has a dusting of sand lying on the heavy crushed shell layer. This is the same beach that I found an Iphone, 2 pairs of sunglasses, and now these heavy sinkers.

No coins, no bottle caps, no pull tabs. Sounds like it should be a gold mine, right?

So why no jewelry? I have never seen another detectorist there, and the beach is packed with people on the weekends. I have several times thoroughly gridded it by running as close to the water- even in the very wet area between waves- back and forth starting at absolute low tide and letting the incoming tide work me up toward the towel line.

You think it is just a beach that people have not bring jewelry to? (Is there such a thing?) Do you think the gold is in the water?

Thanks in advance!- and btw, what is up with the nail- having a wire center?

Attachments

• IMG_5931.JPG
    IMG_5931.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 452
It appears targets have been collated and things are buried. Hunt a little closer to the wave line area to ankle deep. some of the lighter jewelry might have been pushed up there. Seems to be the best place right now with all this sand.

Dew

It appears targets have been collated and things are buried. Hunt a little closer to the wave line area to ankle deep. some of the lighter jewelry might have been pushed up there. Seems to be the best place right now with all this sand.

Dew

Yep I have been ankle deep- although the swinging time gets cut in half while the wave falsing settles down. Hard to swing the coil much while the wave current is coming in also. You think I should move the controls to a backpack, go back to the smaller 10 inch coil, and go knee deep?

I'd say give it a hot putting it in a backpack and trying a bit deeper... But the fact you're finding lead is a good indicator that the heavies ARE there... Especially those pyramid sinkers, they probably were not dropped right there but came in from deeper out...

It's hard to say

Just keeping working it. There will be more "good stuff" in the water than in the sand. Go as deep as you can go with your metal detector. Good luck and it looks good because you're finding heavy targets.

Chris

Yep I have been ankle deep- although the swinging time gets cut in half while the wave falsing settles down. Hard to swing the coil much while the wave current is coming in also. You think I should move the controls to a backpack, go back to the smaller 10 inch coil, and go knee deep?

I'm not a big follower of where there is lead there is gold... most of my gold comes from beaches without lead...

The gold could be in the water... some will be in the wet sand and along the blanket line.. this year the majority of my gold has been on the wet sand slope mostly from mid slope to the bottom and 10 feet out from there... only 2 of my gold finds have been in the water.

I'm not a big follower of where there is lead there is gold... most of my gold comes from beaches without lead...

This has been my experience too actually. Most of the gold I have found has also come from beaches with little to no lead. Doesn't mean there can't be gold where there's lead, but in my experience, lead doesn't necessarily equal gold.

Your lead is fairly fresh. Looking at it there is still a bit of a shine to the lead. Our beaches are all sanded in bad. We need a good wind event from the north or south. The constant east winds during the last 2 months have killed detecting.

Your lead is fairly fresh. Looking at it there is still a bit of a shine to the lead. Our beaches are all sanded in bad. We need a good wind event from the north or south. The constant east winds during the last 2 months have killed detecting.

Looks like the winds will be from the NNE this weekend :yes:

Your sinkers are fresh drops(new). I'm one who actually looks for old lead to find gold. Shell layer doesn't always mean anything. A lot of times a light layer of sand just covers a layer of light shells. If you find mostly pull tabs and zinc pennies in it, it's usually a bad sign. I haven't found any old sinkers in a while and haven't been finding any gold either.

Stunmi, your situation sounds a lot like mine. I have a lot of competition at my beaches, people living close, very close, at just about every beach, detecting every morning. On top of that, they are constantly sanded in. I'm starting to think sanded in conditions are worse than heavy competition, although I seem to have both.

One thing that will improve your target rate imo, is a PI detector, (just don't get a garrett), even you're non-ferrous target rate. Detect during busy times on receding tides.

What we need on the Gulf side it to keep IMA on his side of the island.:laughing: Lead dont mean a lot to me unless im finding it at say the edge of a rise in a little deeper water where i can establish some sort of a target line. If you are finding pull tabs in that target line or the sand is looser and deeper you might as well move or get out closer to the hard pan area.

Dew

Stunmi, your situation sounds a lot like mine. I have a lot of competition at my beaches, people living close, very close, at just about every beach, detecting every morning. On top of that, they are constantly sanded in. I'm starting to think sanded in conditions are worse than heavy competition, although I seem to have both.

One thing that will improve your target rate imo, is a PI detector, (just don't get a garrett), even you're non-ferrous target rate. Detect during busy times on receding tides.

I wouldn't mind trying a PI. Suggestions on a used one for 500?
What we need on the Gulf side it to keep IMA on his side of the island.:laughing: Lead dont mean a lot to me unless im finding it at say the edge of a rise in a little deeper water where i can establish some sort of a target line. If you are finding pull tabs in that target line or the sand is looser and deeper you might as well move or get out closer to the hard pan area.

Dew

Dew have you used your GT in water- meaning knee deep or more?

My analysis of your hunt tells me you got some lead, a nail, a fishing lure and a piece of aluminum. And as a bonus you got some plastic beads and wire with one of your lead targets.

Forgot to mention the wire in the nail is all that is left of the original nail. Get a PI and you'll find a ton of tent stakes that look the same way. If you mess up and put it in your pouch it usually winds up with a sharp point under there that goes through your pouch and stabs you in the thigh, If you look at the nail and imagine when it rusts a little further. That one nail will turn into 5 targets you got to dig with a PI.

LOL well another attemp at humor has gone wrong. Anyway, even thought the coins and rings eluded you, I am sure you had a good time.

Maybe you were at the wrong beach also. Nobody swam there

I'm sorry, I am a little edgy this morning and I apologize. Idk about the beach, like I said it is full on the weekends. But maybe that doesn't mean everything- are they locals that know better, are they poor, is the water too warm to shrink fingers, is the shell layer loose and not the hard pack, so many unknowns... Like trying to figure out a bad golf swing.

Guess I will venture out in the water a bit, and then go deeper if I have to. Have a great day!

The gold could be in the water... some will be in the wet sand and along the blanket line.. this year the majority of my gold has been on the wet sand slope mostly from mid slope to the bottom and 10 feet out from there... only 2 of my gold finds have been in the water.

I agree with Craig, most of my gold and silver jewelry comes from the "mid-section" between the towel line and lowtide. The flat wet sand especially where folks enter the water at or near high tide is where I find most targets.

Attachments

• wet sand.jpg
    wet sand.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 156
Back
Top Bottom