Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Kellyco Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Find a Hunting Buddy

Old 03-19-2012, 09:26 PM
Elite Member

PM Sent Beep!

Old 04-03-2012, 10:26 AM

Plainview Minnesota Here. Looking for a buddy.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:21 PM

Default Hunting partner

I live in udon Wi. And a hunting partner would be nice especially if they are close and retired would be nice.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:50 PM
Elite Member

Well I am not retired, but am semi close.

In Hastings/Prescott area.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:43 PM

Default Savage

Checking in. Love to go hunting, PM me if interested

Old 04-04-2012, 10:02 PM

Thief River Falls here....

Old 04-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Elite Member

Rochester here!!! well....from the 10th til the 17th....but bringing down my MD

Old 05-21-2012, 04:15 PM

Hello!
Very new here. I'm from west central Minnesota and not requesting a buddy, as I'd probably be too bad for you!
I've just started metal detecting as I borrowed my step-father's metal detector (AFTER I gave it to him as a birthday present... how nice of me?!) because I've ALWAYS been very interested in it. I've soon realized that it is all about location, location, location. And that's where I run in to trouble.
So I need some advice from fellow Minnesotans. No searching on state parks (illegal). Most people are now verrrry picky and possessive over their personal property and old farmsteads. I don't know many people with property like that that would allow me on. The towns we live by are not that old. And, coming from small towns, everyone and their DOG would be gawking at you metal detecting and probably calling the cops on you for stealing stuff out of the ground. (Small town mentality here.) I guess I haven't technically looked up the rules for the city parks in town but I guess I prefer being in private when doing this as - well - I'm a 26 year old mom and everyone knows you.
It's also illegal to MD on state, DNR-owned land. But guess what - I did it last week. I'm not sure how strictly they enforce this but I'm not doing anything bad. I guess the main thing is that they don't want you to REMOVE anything from state land. Which, so far, I haven't as I can't find anything worth it yet. I just have the "MD bug" so I just want to go out and try it at least. I'll bring a shovel but put it in my backpack and try to be discreet and quick when out by my truck.
I've seriously considered giving BACK my step-father his metal detector and buying one for myself since I love it. But you can sure get discouraged when you have nowhere to go and haven't found anything good yet. Just laws and rules all over the place - and I AM one to NOT want to get in trouble as it would make me a nervous wreck.
Friday night I am going out and this might be the decision maker. I've found a piece of state land that I found out has two old foundations on it. I'm going to hit both of them and see what happens. The sad thing is - after this - I have no other prospective areas to go really. As of now.
Kind of a bummer as it's really quite the thrill. And I also love the history of these items.
I'm sure most of you would tell me to do more research on the history of the land and that might tell me where the most coins, etc. would be. Which I should do. But then it also brings me more in to town (I would think) - when I'm a little embarrassed to do that right in town. Also - I've never seen anyone metal detect around here except once or twice at a local beach.

Any suggestions, by chance?? Thanks from MN!!!

Old 05-21-2012, 11:55 PM
Elite Member

Default Brainerd

Hi, I'm in Brainerd. Looking for a hunting buddy!! MNGal, drive-in movie lots are also good places to go! HH

Old 05-24-2012, 12:28 AM

Default SW of cities

I live in Waconia (carver county), about 40 minutes west of twin cities. Looking for others to detect with.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:41 AM

From Farmington, (Dakota County not Olmstead) and looking for someone to hunt with. I enjoy hunting creeks and rivers, should have my AT Pro in a week!

Ps... DO NOT get caught hunting on DNR land. Even if you aren't "taking" anything. Its a $75 fine just for having a detector with you and if you get caught with it; its something crazy like up to $100,000 fine, 10 years in jail etc... Obviously no one ever gets prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, but they will take your Detector and you'll never see it again on top of probably a hefty fine.

My Wife's uncle is a Supervisory Warden with the MN DNR and he said that while they hardly run into anyone doing it; the historical areas are patrolled for it and they aren't lenient. He said "ignorance won't be bliss"

Old 09-13-2012, 09:59 PM

Anyone know if pubic beaches in wright or hennipen county are legal to detect? Thanks

Old 09-25-2012, 02:05 PM

Lakeville. Totally green. Anyone south of the cities want to team up?

Old 01-25-2016, 04:34 PM

I'm about an hour north of Duluth. If anyone is near by drop me a line.

Old 11-16-2016, 08:45 PM

I am up in harris about 30 miles north of the twin cities checking in

Last edited by mnchopper; 11-20-2016 at 08:01 PM.